Same filters for gas and diesel use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any technical reasons you can't use an ordinary car/truck oil filter originally spec'd for a gas engined vehicle on a diesel engine? Assume the filter fits, is an appropriate size, has the right bypass and anti-drainback features, etc. For example, is either nitrile or silicone for the ADBV a problem with diesels? What about filter media? Is something like the nylon cage in an Ecore filter a possible problem? How about the sealing gasket?

I think the only difference, outside of some special water absorption filter (or one with a drain integrated), is the micron rating. Some spec different primary and secondary filters and most that I've seen are finer than their lube filter counterparts.

Here's a fuel filter that I use in a dual Permacool setup for my oil fired boiler. I got tired of those smaller sponge/foam/felt filters.

Part Number: 33281
UPC Number: 765809332812
Principal Application: Fiat-Allis, Hitachi, Iveco, New Holland, Other (10 Micron)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Fuel Filter
Service: Fuel
Media: Paper
Height: 6.605
Outer Diameter Top: 4.262
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
Burst Pressure-PSI: 400
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 10

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

Originally Posted By: JT1
older gm diesels use a PH5 just like the gasser.

Yup, and many tractors spec the FL-1A.

Thanks for the replies. I took a look at the Wix list of applications for the 51515, equivalent to the FL-1A. There were lots of diesel trucks, forklifts, and tractors.

Yep. Oil's oil. It's just filtering it..
thumbsup2.gif

VW factory filters often have written on them both a mileage for use in gasoline engines and diesel engine. The mileage for Diesel use is shorter, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back