2000 Dodge 1500 5.9L Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to buy oil and I was wondering everybody's thoughts for oil for my truck. I have been having it changed at the Dodge dealer and they have been using 10w-30 I believe. What do think of me using 5w-30 for the 360cid engine? I will probably buy Penzoil or Mobile regular oil. It has been a good engine so far except it sucks gas like there is no tomorrow. I change oil about every 3000 miles. I am leaving soon to go buy oil so quick answers are great. Thanks for your ideas in advance, Wes

Work is about 3 to 5 miles. I drive through neighborhoods and then I drive 55 for about 2 miles. Mostly drive it around town and to work except when I pull my boat to the lake, mostly in the spring. I live in Georgia so it is mostly mild weather in the winter. It hardly gets below 20F. I have to drive it on the highway once in awhile so it gets cleaned out good.

I have a buddy with the same truck (Dodge 1500/5.9L) and he really likes the reg. Mobil 1 10W-30, he says the same thing about the gas dissapearing quickly.

get yourself a mopar filter at Wally world and any regular oil of any brand will be fine. I prefer valvoline myself but they are all good.

filter= 4$
oil= 10$ (if not castrol then 12)

14 dollar oil change !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil_Me
I am going to buy oil and I was wondering everybody's thoughts for oil for my truck. I have been having it changed at the Dodge dealer and they have been using 10w-30 I believe. What do think of me using 5w-30 for the 360cid engine? I will probably buy Penzoil or Mobile regular oil. It has been a good engine so far except it sucks gas like there is no tomorrow. I change oil about every 3000 miles. I am leaving soon to go buy oil so quick answers are great. Thanks for your ideas in advance, Wes

Oil_Me,

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 01' Durango 4.7 V-8 with good results. If you change every 3K like I do then depending on your budget you might consider a less expensive synthetic brand maybe Quaker State "Q" appears to be a few bucks cheaper than M1. Ohterwise M1 is my standard. Consider it.

Durango

In my 5.9L it has had Mobil-1 10w30 for 7yrs...then Mobil-1 HM for a year or so after that...clean inside, good results...I myself am gonna try a dino oil though now that it is retired, but just letting you know it seems to have done well using Mobil-1 (the HM formula is best).

My bro has the same truck, uses 10-30 mobil1 since he got it at 99xxx miles, now has 122xxx miles and still goes strong gets about 11in town and up to 14 on the highway, he changes it every 3k even though he should go longer.

Thanks everybody for the response. I forgot to mention my truck has 80K miles on it. I decided to get Penzoil YB 10w-30 with a Wix filter. I really like syn oil and have been using Mobile 1 syn in my wife's 07 Camry since we purchased it. I know you are suppose to be able to switch to syn with no trouble but I am afraid to switch in my Dodge. I have had three friends that switched to syn with about 75K to 140k on their rides and they had oil leaks. I don't know why this happened but I don't want an oil leak. Maybe they changed weights when they switched to syn. I have been reading on this forum that you should stay with the same weight when going to syn. But anyway, a big thanks to everybody for the help.

Those engines are loose.Stick with 10w30. I had a 1998 318 I just sold.I ran Amsoil 10w30 on 10k OCI from 30k until I sold it with 105k.Never a weep of anything.318 with Edelbrock headers,Fastman throttle body,Harlan Sharp 1.7 roller rockers,SuperChips 89 octane down load.Napa brass cap and rotor with Autolite 3923 spark plugs(helped curtailed spark knock)all work was a present to myself when it had 60k on it.I LIKED my RC Red truck other then fuel mileage.New Hemi is over 100horse more and much better mpg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back