Help with mothers pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can also download Auslogics Boost Speed from download.com and use it free for 30 days. It will help you tweak your registry and internet settings for optimal efficiency and works great from the computers I have used it on.

Originally Posted By: defektes
BAH! The problem came back.
I have used every program you guys mentioned ontop of Norton and Adaware, I want to take the [censored] PC to the range and test my 1911 on it.

Sorry to hear of your problem.

. . . Norton? If you do anything else, I'd dump the Symantec junk. It causes problems just like this, and plenty of others.

This computer has plenty of horsepower to run XPsp3 and the apps. What are the resource meters reading during these events? If you're seeing CPU spikes to 100% and huge memory jumps, then a program is indeed intervening in process. Stuff like older SAS builds used to do this on occasion, and would bog down systems. Otherwise, it's likely a SW conflict or corruption.

If these are Java-based applets bogging down, it could be corrupted source code or installation. Have you disabled Windows Firewall? That also contributes to/causes these problems. Just had it do it to a Squeezebox Server java applet the other day. But I see you did that.

Another approach is to shut down all your unneeded drivers, startups and services, and click them on one by one until the problem emerges. That takes some understanding of services hierarchy, however. It also takes a lot of time.

Otherwise, sometimes a clean OS reinstall is a valid last resort. All the various registry cleaners, arrangers and tweakers have their limits once the OS has too many miles on it.

Sounds like a clean install would have been easier. Usually solves phantom problems like this. Sounds like software and not hardware at this point. It takes a full Sunday of football watching to re set up a machine from scratch. Enjoy...

Originally Posted By: defektes
Tweak test
http://www.dslreports.com/tweakr/block:3194c8b?service=cable&speed=4&os=winXP&via=normal

Even though there were no lost or re-transmitted packets, the RWIN setting of 65,535 without having Window Scaling turned on seems odd. RWIN is normally a multiple of MSS, which should be 1,460 on cable internet. Your RWIN setting of 65,535 is not a multiple of 1,460 and I have only seen RWIN set to 65,535 when Window Scaling is enabled. This may be something to look into.

Navigate to this site, locate the "Shortcuts" box on the left side of the page and click on "TCP/IP Analyzer".

http://www.speedguide.net/

Based on the TCP/IP Analyzer report, you can decide whether or not to download and use "TCP/IP Optimizer" (located below "TCP/IP Analyzer" in "Shortcuts" box). It is very easy to configure connection settings in Windows XP using this small application. Just set the slider to your ISP provider's advertised speed, click on the "Optimal Settings" radio button, click "Apply Changes" then click "Exit" and reboot the computer for the new settings to be applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back