Walmart Everstart Maxx Batteries= Junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at a walmart TLE and our batterys are Exide and most of them but the Maxx are junk. not to bash walmart but I would rather see somone buy a battery from the local autoparts store atlest they dont try to screw people out of ther money by saying its not the batterys fault and sending a bad battery back out I buy oil from there but I wouldnt buy a battery unless I really had too just my $.02

In 1995 i bought a battery from walmart, at that time it was one of there best batteries can,t, recall the specfic name of it though. anyhow it was rated at 800cca it was put in a dodge dakota ran it in that truck for seven years,bought new truck in 2002 so i decided for kicks to load test the battery believe it or not the battery still put out over 800cca tested hot. so i kept the battery and put it in my boat which lasted another three years or more because i sold the boat with it still in it. This battery was made by johnson controls. might have been a fluke, but it was by far the best battery i have ever had.

The walmart batteries here in Buffalo are made by Johnson and they are a good battery.

One thing that people don't do, but they should..

Take a new battery, and put it on a trickle charger before you put it in the car.

I've always done this and had great luck with most batteries.

I had to get an Everstart Maxx one dark and snowy night when my old battery kicked the bucket. Coming up on one year, okay so far. Battery bought in NY state.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The walmart batteries here in Buffalo are made by Johnson and they are a good battery.

One thing that people don't do, but they should..

Take a new battery, and put it on a trickle charger before you put it in the car.

I've always done this and had great luck with most batteries.

I always do that as well. I'll have it installed at WM and put the battery tender on it that night. All of my batteries have always taken an overnight charge when brand new. If tha car sits for more than 2 weeks I'll put the tender on again...always lights the red light which indicates it is trickle charging.

the AC Delco 5 year batteries are made in S. Korea with recycled lead. the Delco 6 and 7 yr batteries are made in USA with new lead from various parts of the US.

I always check the month/year stamp before I buy. It's like milk at the grocery store, I always check to get the best stock.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Yet, they are both Johnson Control batteries and JC claims that they have the same build quality. Something doesn't add up here.

It's a wal*mart special. :) Companies will product a lower cost, yet still branded run just for WMT, so they can meet WMT's price points. Plus WMT shoppers are thought to be cost focused and not too picky.

I have been useing them since I moved back to the North. When I lived in South I was always happy with Interstate batteries unless I needed something special like a ventless gell cell. When I moved to Michigan for college in 1993 it was one of the few reliable places I could find batteries that where not 6-12 months old just sitting in a rack! I have never failed to get less then 5 years out of one and my Dad started useing them when we moved back tot he states and inthe south he used to get not less then 7 years out of Walmart batteries.

Since I have lived in Michigan I have bought 2 Walmart Yellow Max start's and one of their cheap black model batteries. The one black cheap one lasted from 1993 to 2007. The other two are only a couple years old so I can not say much about them at this point.

I can say that when I managed an AutoZone I got fewer Walmart branded batteries then any other brand other then our own comeing in for core exchange. The once that we say in huge bulks where Deka,AC/Delco(GM COuntry),Advanced Auto Parts Brand ,Sears Die Hard and Napa branded batteries. The least freak ones where Walmart Brand, Interstate and Champion. Deka was really bad we had probably 5 deka's for ever other battery and none of the Deka batterys where ever older then 3 years. No one localy sold them either I am thinking one of the AG stores or garages must sell them kind of like Interstate no retail outlet sells them just private garages and AG outlets!

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
I have been useing them since I moved back to the North. When I lived in South I was always happy with Interstate batteries unless I needed something special like a ventless gell cell. When I moved to Michigan for college in 1993 it was one of the few reliable places I could find batteries that where not 6-12 months old just sitting in a rack! I have never failed to get less then 5 years out of one and my Dad started useing them when we moved back tot he states and inthe south he used to get not less then 7 years out of Walmart batteries.

Since I have lived in Michigan I have bought 2 Walmart Yellow Max start's and one of their cheap black model batteries. The one black cheap one lasted from 1993 to 2007. The other two are only a couple years old so I can not say much about them at this point.

I can say that when I managed an AutoZone I got fewer Walmart branded batteries then any other brand other then our own comeing in for core exchange. The once that we say in huge bulks where Deka,AC/Delco(GM COuntry),Advanced Auto Parts Brand ,Sears Die Hard and Napa branded batteries. The least freak ones where Walmart Brand, Interstate and Champion. Deka was really bad we had probably 5 deka's for ever other battery and none of the Deka batterys where ever older then 3 years. No one localy sold them either I am thinking one of the AG stores or garages must sell them kind of like Interstate no retail outlet sells them just private garages and AG outlets!

Strange, I had a Deka Battery in my old Cavalier for years. It was about 7 years old when I had to get rid of the car.

Delcos seem to be hit or miss. My wife's lasted 5 years, my neighbors almost 3 years, a good buddy of mine Delco lasted 7 years.

I think when it comes to batteries, it really depends on how they are used. Some of us are harder on them than others...

Well..for whats its worth..over on eons.org, everyone thier rants and raves about walmart batteries, mostly becuse thier cheap. Ive never read anthing about them being [censored] batterys, i myself have never owned one..yuo get what you pay for, thats what ive learned. Ive used NAPA legend batterys time and time again, only for them ALL to fail at about 1 year..they are the self maintenance ones. Best battery i ever got that actually alt me YEARS, was atuozone gold or red top ones! Suprising isnt it.
Ive hear LOTS of good things about the battersy goodyear sells, i cannot remember them name of them though. Ive read chrysler/mopar batterys are TERRIBLE..

I have used (and abused) many EverStart Maxx batteries. I live about 20 minutes from Canada and I can count on living in deep cold in Jan. and Feb., most winters. (We hit -24°F/-31°C this past January.)

My most recent EverStart victim had a date code of F-2 (June 2002). Can't complain about that run.

Originally Posted By: OilNerd
I have used (and abused) many EverStart Maxx batteries. I live about 20 minutes from Canada and I can count on living in deep cold in Jan. and Feb., most winters. (We hit -24°F/-31°C this past January.)

My most recent EverStart victim had a date code of F-2 (June 2002). Can't complain about that run.

Not bad.

Everstart Updates:

The Everstart that I bought in 2002 (made by Johnson Controls) is still looking and running good.

The Everstart that I bought in 2007 (Made by Exide) still works but has turned both itself and the battery box into a huge corrosion fest, and I will need an entire box of baking soda to neutralized it.

Given a choice, I cannot imagine any reason to buy a lead-low antimony battery, like Exide. When they reach full charge they "Zener off" the continuing charge and the rules of electrolysis cause considerable outgassing and lots of corrosive damage.

The Johnson Controls battery - like almost all lead-calcium batteries - looks like new and so do the posts, etc.

If you do not know which is which, it is easy to test:
Put on an unregulated charger and observe both current and voltage, after the battery reaches full charge.

A lead antimony battery will act like a zener diode and will limit the voltage to about 14.5 volts while continuing to take a 1 or 2 amp charge. This current just bubbles off the electrolyte and causes all the outgassing.

A Lead-Calcium battery pretty much just shuts the door on the incoming current! The voltage will rise well above 15 volts, or even 16 volts, while accepting almost no charge at all - current will drop to nearly zero. This of course does not cause any outgassing at all.

If you are a boat owner (ok, I maintain a fleet of boats for our waterski show team) make note that:

Older motors - 1960's, 1970's did not use voltage regulators, and need a lead antimony battery to act as a voltage regulator.

New motors, with voltage regulators: Since we store lots of boats for 5 months, make note that lead antimony batteries can self-discharge at 1% a day and will likely be dead, freeeze and split before spring.

Lead-Calcium batteries lose almost no charge at all, and will still be above 95 percent full in the spring. Side note - we had a few Mercury motors that draw a steady standby current for their computers and would drag the battery down in about 60 days.

fsskier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back