Power Foam Intake Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a foaming intake system cleaner (amsoil) on my 99 honda accord v6 and got a check engine light. Codes said misfires in all cylinders. Re-set the codes but now I have another code. I don't know what the new one is yet but I'm wondering if the foam cleaner may wipe anything else out or cause other problems with something else??

Thanks

It isn't unusual for intake/TB cleaners to cause misfires until all the junk gets inhaled and burned. But that should happen within the first minute or two after the engine is running after the cleanup. I'll be curious to see what the new code is. That should give you a better indication of what (if anything) is actually wrong. If it's just another "cylinder misfire" and the engine appears to be running normally, I'd clear it and keep an eye on it to see if it reappears.

Thanks. I cleared the codes on Sat but one came back this AM. It's the wifes car so I'll have to wait until later to troubleshoot but I'll post back and let you know.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If you are still getting the misfire code, check for fouled spark plugs.

This, and a good wide open throttle run down the highway should clear out the junk... :)

Ran the dog snot out of it right after I foamed it, really lays down a smokescreen as you leave the neighborhood!! It's probably due for plugs, cap and wires anyway but we'll see what the code says first.

All the dirt and crud pass through the cylinders
33.gif

exactly...that's why, after I thought about doing it as well...opted to remove the throttle body & intake and clean it that way...slight pain in the [censored] though

The code was the primary or forward O2 sensor. Cleared the code and bought a new one. Of course I can't get the socket on it (No room underneath) and it's frozen in place anyway. I even heated the pipe and couldn't get the darn thing to budge. Any ideas with that one?

I'd give it time to burn off, myself. The 02 isn't faulty, it's fouled.

Otherwise get one of the reactive type penetrating oils and apply overnight.

Already soaked it last night and I'll wait to see if the code comes back. Hey, it looks like you're an Amsoil supplier. Have you ever had anyone else use the foam and have problems like this before? I figure it's normal to have a few items "foul" or kick a few codes but I just wasn't sure.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
where do you buy this foam? Do you just spray and the foam expands a lot?

Amsoil Power Foam, yeah it does foam up yellow foam

Check to make sure you did not forget a vaccum line or conector when you had it apart to spray the cleaning into the intake! I bet you have a lose conection or lose vacumm line!

I tried regular engine degreaser foam on my 4Runner and it did not hurt it at all! No MIL lights nothing. It did nto smoke much either but I also ran it at around 3500 RPM's. I prefer to use a can of B12 Carb Cleaner inthe aerosol can and spray intothe intake with the engine turning 1200-2500 RPM's. I think it work great and it does not smoke at all when I use B12 that way. The reason for the foam I am sure is too try and get the intake manfold itself clean not so much the engine but I am just guessing on that portion. You are supposed to change the oil after you use the engine foam!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back