1998 Ford F-150 4.2L with Lifter Tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I bought a house 3 months ago, so now I have a place to work.

While we were moving my Father in law allowed us to use his truck. The Ford F150 with 4.2 L V6. I noticed that at idle it had quite a loud ticking noise, so I checked the oil sticker and the level of oil on the dipstick. It was only 100 miles over the Jiffy lube 3,000/3month sticker but it was almost a full quart low.

So, being that I had a stash of Synthetic oil, and the filters from my Taurus fit this truck, I decided to give it an oil change and put in 4 oz of Auto RX while I am at it.

Fast forward 1 month. My Father in Law decides that he wants a new truck. He shops around and gets a Ford F250 Turbo Diesil to pull his boat around.

And he gives me this Truck as a gift!
Nothing better than a Free Truck.

Anyways, I have had it for 2 months now. I drive it on weekends and get it up to temp as much as possible, but it still has that tick at idle. The oil change that I put in there is still there, 5 qts M1 Truck and SUV, +2 qts Quaker State Torque Power and the 4oz of Auto RX.
I know the manuel says it takes only 5 quarts, but it took almost 7.5 to bring it up to the "full" line on the dipstick.

History of the Truck is that my Father in Law bought it used with a "Ford Certified" extended warrenty. He started to use it to tow his boat, but somewhere in there the engine went out and the Ford dealership dicided to replace it. So although the odometer on the Truck says 101,000 the engine only has 50,000 miles on it.
He keeps his cars rediciously clean on the outside, like you can literally eat from underneath the hood, and I imagine that he keeps the fluids changed regularly.

I plan on dropping the transmission pan this weekend and installing a aftermarket spin on filter on the cooler line.

But my question to you guys. How do you stop that lifter tick? Can you stop it?

I may get flamed but the 4.2 wasnt that great an engine..

it was basically a bigger version of the 3.8 that was in mustangs(and other cars) and was pretty much an at best decent 80's car engine design.

I'd probably use something like 5w40 in it and make sure you use a filter with the silicone antidrainback valve.

I'd also make sure the dipstick is the correct one.. as I'm sure that engine takes 5-6qt max

Last edited:
Does anyone around here ever check valve lash? I mean, maybe the valves are ticking for another reason besides oil!

See if you can isolate the noise to one bank, and get a set of feeler gauges.

Or maybe it's normal or can't be stopped. And I guess the cheapest potential solution is a thicker oil (for higher pressure) so why not give that a try. But, does it always tick at idle, or only cold idle, or only hot idle?

I had a 99 with that engine and it only held 6 qts. May have a weak lifter. I always used M1 5-30EP in mine with 10,000 mile OCI.

If its dirt causing the lifter tick I found MMO to work the best for quieting them down. Add a pint 1000 miles before you change the oil, then at the next oil change add 1 qt in place of a qt of oil and run it the full OCI, it should quiet things down, again if its dirt causing the tick.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If its dirt causing the lifter tick I found MMO to work the best for quieting them down. Add a pint 1000 miles before you change the oil, then at the next oil change add 1 qt in place of a qt of oil and run it the full OCI, it should quiet things down, again if its dirt causing the tick.

+1

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Does anyone around here ever check valve lash? I mean, maybe the valves are ticking for another reason besides oil!

This engine uses self adjusting hydraulic lifters. There is no way or reason to adjust them.

I have read up on this engine. Yeah, I know that this particular engine has had problems.

According to wikipedia all of the 1997 F-150's engines were recalled due to major issues with "Front cover gaskets".

Im just making sure that I am going in the right direction. I think I will run my current 7,000 miles/1 year whatever comes first, and then try some 10w40 and MMO for 5,000.
No real reason to use a full synthetic anymore, I did the oil before it was mine thinking it would see more use. Now it dosent see daily use as I work from home 3 days a week and drive another car to and from work the other 2 days.

From Wikipedia:
"Ford experienced problems with this engine in the 1997 and 1998 model years. [4] These included issuing all 1997 engines made at the Essex plant with a bad front cover gasket. (I would add that this was addressed free of charge by a recall from Ford. They also had an intake gasket issue that was addressed by Ford as well.)

Ford ended production of the 4.2 L V6 after the 2008 model year, marking the end of the Essex V6. The engine's final recipient, the F-150, will only be available with V8 engines starting with the 2009 model year"

Originally Posted By: nooil

+1

+2

I would add a full bottle of Auto-Rx since you are going to runit 7000 miles or 1 year what ever comes first. Auto-Rx works just fine with synthetic for the clean phase last time I checked. Just use a dino oil for the rinse phase. See what you get.

If you still have the problem I would not worry about it Ford has always had noisey lifter the COlgne engine used to sound like a SInger Sewing machine often from 20,000 miles on! You could replace the lifter and it would just come back again.

After you use all your Tarus stash of oil and filter's I probably go to once a year oil changes all the time. I would probably use something like Delvac 1300 15W40 year round in it you live in Texas so Artic Circle cold start is not an issue.

I have a full bottle of Auto RX on hand. But I thought you were not supposed to use it with any ester based oil. Im pretty sure M1 Truck and SUV has a little ester in it.

I have successfully used Auto RX on 5 different vehicles, and am a convert.

I will go read over the Auto Rx site again and see if there has been any change.

However, being how few miles I put on the truck, that it already has 4oz of Auto RX, and that this is the first change with Full Synthetic.
And also some people think Full Synthetic does cleaning better than dino oil (im not convinced on that claim).

I think I will leave the current fill as is and see how it does. If it ticks less in 7000 miles / 1 year that would be awsome, that would give credit to the Auto RX working with those superior cleaning agents in Synthetic oils.

If it turns out that I need to use something else thats ok too.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Originally Posted By: nooil

+1

+2

+3

Originally Posted By: bepperb

See if you can isolate the noise to one bank, and get a set of feeler gauges.

Or maybe it's normal or can't be stopped. And I guess the cheapest potential solution is a thicker oil (for higher pressure) so why not give that a try. But, does it always tick at idle, or only cold idle, or only hot idle?

This engine, like most American engines, uses hydraulic lifters. There is no lash that ever needs to be adjusted.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`d try the thicker oil,a Motorcraft oil filter,and NO additives.........just motor oil only.

Agreed. 5w40 FTW.

You say it calls for 5qts, but 7.5 to get to full? Even though it's at full, I don't think I would overfill the truck by 2.5qts

The dipstick could just be wrong?? Either way, next time use 5qts and see what happens. I bet it's possible 2.5qts over could cause this issue as well, could be wrong though.

I never liked the idea of using thicker oil to quiet a noisy lifter. I'd always hit it with a good dose of MMO, and if it was just dirty it would clear it up. Problem engines with bad parts I would suggest a thicker oil to just muffle the sound.

I've owned cars that had the wrong dipstick. If you are 2.5 qts of oil over, as panthermike suggested, that amount can cause problems too. If you don't want to replace the dipstick then next OC let the oil drain over night. Swap out the filter and check the OM for the proper amount of oil, add that much oil, run the engine and let it sit for an hour. Pull the dipstick and scribe a new full mark, it will be close enough, or buy a new dipstick from Ford.

I donated my 1995 Windstar with the 3.8 version, basically the same engine but smaller. The engine never had lifter noises and was very quiet. We also had a Taurus and it was quiet, so I don't buy into the "all are noisy" explanation, because they aren't. Mechanically the engine was excellent. I used the motorcraft filter, and motorcraft oil in the recommended 5w-30 viscosity with no additives. There has been good advice given, like others said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back