AIR Compressor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
New compressor,manual states do not use regular automotive oil.
You can use Mobil 1 10w30.What gives with that recomandation?
campbell haustfeld compressor.
Thanks
Gary

Originally Posted By: lt2000

I'm betting Mobil paid them to say that. You should be able to use any 10w30 motor oil just fine, though I would strongly recommend synthetic. (Mobil or otherwise) My compressor says to only use 30W non detergent oil, but I've been using various brands of 10w30 just fine. The manual also says I never need to change the oil, which is an outright lie....

why not use amsoil compressor oil in the ISO equivalent of a 30wt oil? Mine ran significant cooler (a makita, iron type) after changing to the syn from the manufacturer's oil.

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey

I'm betting Mobil paid them to say that. You should be able to use any 10w30 motor oil just fine, though I would strongly recommend synthetic. (Mobil or otherwise) My compressor says to only use 30W non detergent oil, but I've been using various brands of 10w30 just fine. The manual also says I never need to change the oil, which is an outright lie....
Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey

I to think the the 10w30 is the oil i should use.I am not into syn oil.I do have some 5w20 havoline that is tempting to use also.

I have always seen non-detergent oil recommended.
We use normal engine oil with detergents. I don't know where to get non detergent oil.
Many many years on some compressors, and no evident problems.

Been using Amsoil compressor oil for 14 years. Change it out whenever you want. I try to do it every year.

It holds up really well. Lots of synthetic compressor oils on shelves now. When I started running Amsoil you could not find other brands anywhere. Now lots of stuff out there on shelves. Sears I know has a syn lube. I would not use an oil, syn or not.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I have always seen non-detergent oil recommended.
We use normal engine oil with detergents. I don't know where to get non detergent oil.
Many many years on some compressors, and no evident problems.

Thanks for the insight on using engine oil,I certainly saw any reason not to.
Again thanks!

Gary

Campbell Hausfeld recomended Mobil 1 10w 30 but not regular motor oil? If they want to recommend a Mobil product why not Rarus 427?

My Campbell Hausfeld recommened both Mobil 1 10w30 or Rarus 427. Rarus was hard to find so went with Amsoil ISO 100 runs great never uses a drop.

Regular 10w30 would more easily degrade and shear the VIIs and also oxidize, causing piston rings to develop deposits.

That it why it states to use M1 10w30 synthetic engine oil.

However, I highly doubt that there will be any problems running any good 10w30 synthetic.

My Brute calls for 15w50 I put PP in it. Seems to a bit quieter than the factory fill. On a side note my dad got one of the oil free Sears model I bet mine last decades longer than his.

Honestly, much like a small engine, it doesn't matter a whole lot what you use. As long as you change it yearly or so, mostly to drain any metal contamination, a good compressor will run nearly forever. Even my garbage compressor from Harbor Freight still runs great at 3 or 4 year old, and I beat the [censored] out of it. I'll bet the electric motor burns out before the pump.

Using synthetic DOES however reduce heat, AND reduce the amount of electricity required to run your compressor. It can save you money on your electric bill the same way it saves gas in cars.

Last time i looked for Amsoil 30W they didn't sell quarts or single gallons.I went with RL 30W synthetic compressor oil,it seems to work well.The plan is to change the spin on filter every year and 5yr OCI.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Last time i looked for Amsoil 30W they didn't sell quarts or single gallons.

Yeah, for some reason you can only buy 20w or 40w by the quart, 30w by the 5 gallon.
21.gif

Another thing, since most compressors have iron cylinders and no oil filter, making sure you have some kind of magnetic drain plug or something can be very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back