Finally, an unequivocal answer from Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been noted here before, Castrol’s Product Data Sheets contain sparse information concerning the physical and chemical properties of its oils. So I decided to ask them what most other blenders freely disclose. Thought I would get back the standard non-answer but low and behold they sent me the information. It did take several requests and three or four weeks but ….

In case anyone is interested:

code:

GTX 5W-20 (SM/GF-4)

Flash Point: 400 F

Pour Point: -30 F

Kinematic Viscosity (cSt) @ 40°C: 50.5

ViscosityIndex: 156

HT/HS Viscosity, cP: 2.7

Noack volatility, % 14.5% max

TBN: 8

GTX 10W-30 (SM/GF-4)

Flash Point 400 F

Pour Point: -30 F

Kinematic Viscosity (cSt) @ 40°C: 66.3

Viscosity Index: 136

HT/HS Viscosity, cP: 2.9

Noack volatility, %: 11.2% max

TBN: 8

shocked.gif
A 10w30 with an HTHS of only 2.9?
shocked.gif

I sure hope the Castrol GTX Start Up I just bought is better than that.

Thanks for your efforts doyall.

I wonder if I might be seeing why they don't just put this information out there. I must review other dinos though to get a better sense of this.

According to some older data I have, Havoline, Chevron Supreme, QS, and a few others are at 2.9cP for HT/HS viscosity. 2.9cP is the minimum.

If you get on the Amsoil website, the HT/HS test they did with other brands netted Castrol GTX at 3.35cP (the test is older though, maybe SJ or SL formula?).

quote:

Do you know the HTHS of other dino oils ?

A couple from the Oil Tech Data sticky thread above:

Pennzoil coventional 10w30 = 3.2
Pennzoil HM 10w30 = 3.4

Valvoline told me that both Durablend and AllClimate 10w30 were 3.0, whereas Maxlife 10w30 is 3.3

Redline 5w20 has an HTHS of 3.3! That's why I have it in the '92 3.0 Aerostar right now.

I think some of the numbers they sent you are bogus. A 5w20 and 10w30 with identical pour points? Nah...

That's just what they told me.

As pleased as I was that I even got an answer, an accurate answer would have been preferred.

Could the high viscosity index somehow affect the pour point? If the 5W-20 is loaded with viscosity index improvers would it make a difference?

quote:

Could the high viscosity index somehow affect the pour point? If the 5W-20 is loaded with viscosity index improvers would it make a difference?

All things being equal, a 5w20 oil should have less VI improver than even a 10w30. And it should always have a lower pour point.

Not knowing to much about OIL stats something tells me thoe that they just told you the "normal/avg/base" stats of wut a 5w-20 and or 10w-30 is ... not the real stats of their oil!

I'd say Castrol sed wut it took to make you leave them along, lol.

... OL well that sucksness

--Idoxash--

I was looking at the oil technical data chart and the Pennzoil and the Mobil had better pour points with 10w30 then 5w20.

quote:

I was looking at the oil technical data chart and the Pennzoil and the Mobil had better pour points with 10w30 then 5w20.

That makes no sense to me. Especially when you look at the cold cranking numbers.
confused.gif

I was shocked!
shocked.gif

Castrol called me back today and told me the HT/HS on Castrol GTX and GTX Start UP 10w40 is ........... 2.9!

I know the category minimum is 2.9 for 10w30 and 10w40, so maybe that is all they care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back