Hanging dart board on bare concrete wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to put up a dart board in the basement on an unpainted untreated concrete wall. I'd prefer not to do too much damage, but it seems that drilling a hole with a concrete drill bit will be inevitable, and then using a Tapcon screw. Or is there a better way to go about this? I'm scared of making cracks in the basement walls.

Also, if you have recommendations for decent but not too expensive dart boards, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

You could try using liquid nails to attach a 3-m style hook to the wall and use that... I'd think with some creative use of epoxy you could manage it.

I don't know if you're using decent darts, but if you don't want them destroyed you might put a couple of layers of cardboard in a 2' ring around the target. Your points will be destroyed by hitting that concrete. Dart retrieval will also be easier from the cardboard than having to pick them up off the floor every time you miss.

I used a 1/8" masonry bit and tapcon screws to mount sheet of plywood (for a structured wiring panel) on my basement wall.

I think it would be REALLY difficult to crack the foundation with a 1/8" bit. The tapcon screws are easy to remove too.

Consider mounting plywood around your dart board, because if you (or a guess) miss the board, your darts will hit the concrete wall and damage them.

Good suggestions. Thanks. Looks like Tapcon is recommending a 5/32" bit, but that's almost as small as the 1/8" you used.
http://www.concretescrews.com/

I have a 14.4V drill bit. Will it manage this job?

About the plywood, should I attach the dartboard to the plywood, or just cut out an opening in the plywood through which the board would go directly into concrete?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Good suggestions. Thanks. Looks like Tapcon is recommending a 5/32" bit, but that's almost as small as the 1/8" you used.
http://www.concretescrews.com/

I have a 14.4V drill bit. Will it manage this job?

About the plywood, should I attach the dartboard to the plywood, or just cut out an opening in the plywood through which the board would go directly into concrete?

My Makita 14.4v cordless did the job no problem. I probably had a 5/16" as well, I was just guessing.

It would be a great deal easier just to mount a small sheet (don't need the full 4x8) to the wall and mount the dart board to that. Home Depot and most lumberyards usually have plywood cut-offs that you can pick up for a few dollars. Stay away from MDF, it is so hard that a dart would likely bounce off more often than not.

While you're at it, you could wander over to the paint section and buy a pint of "mistint" exterior latex in an acceptable color for a few dollars to paint the plywood before you hang it.

I bet you could do the whole job this way for under $10 including the tapcons, the plywood and the paint. One other thing to consider is to buy twice as many fasteners as you need. The masonry bit that comes with the fasteners is barely good for 4 holes drilled in concrete. You might need 2 bits to get the job done, and the tapcon kit is a very inexpensive way to buy single masonry bits.

Also, if you have recommendations for decent but not too expensive dart boards, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

I got this Unicorn bristle board about 10 years ago, picked it up on sale for around $25, the only thing I do is rotate the numbers about once a year.

dartb.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
One other thing to consider is to buy twice as many fasteners as you need. The masonry bit that comes with the fasteners is barely good for 4 holes drilled in concrete. You might need 2 bits to get the job done, and the tapcon kit is a very inexpensive way to buy single masonry bits.

By fastener do you mean the Tapcon screw?

Also, I was hoping not to have to drill more than 4 holes in the concrete.

One other thing to consider is to buy twice as many fasteners as you need. The masonry bit that comes with the fasteners is barely good for 4 holes drilled in concrete. You might need 2 bits to get the job done, and the tapcon kit is a very inexpensive way to buy single masonry bits.

By fastener do you mean the Tapcon screw?

Also, I was hoping not to have to drill more than 4 holes in the concrete.

What I meant was that you might need 2 drill bits to drill 4 holes. You have to get 8 tapcons to get 2 drill bits, and sometimes buying 2 tapcon kits is cheaper than buying 1 tapcon kit (with bit) + 1 masonry bit.

What I meant was that you might need 2 drill bits to drill 4 holes. You have to get 8 tapcons to get 2 drill bits, and sometimes buying 2 tapcon kits is cheaper than buying 1 tapcon kit (with bit) + 1 masonry bit.

OK, got it. Thanks.

I would hang/glue a board (cheap osb) and then hang the dart board on it, if not, one missed shot will cost you a tip.

Well, I picked up a half-inch thick 3' by 3' piece of plywood. It's kind of dense though, so I don't know if the darts will actually sink into it... started painting it already.

I guess I should have mentioned that I want an electronic dart board, which means I will be using soft tip darts, so again, that back board will probably not be needed.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Have you decided on a board yet?

Nope. Still looking for recommendations, under $100 preferably.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I never could really get into electronic dart boards. I like the kind where you can put your eye out.

shooteyeout_distress-logo.jpg

Just blame Mori for teaching me how to post pictures here.

Couldn't you just hang the board from the ceiling/joists so that it hangs on the wall? No holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back