Oil for Volvo S60?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2002 Volvo S60 with the 2.4T engine. It has 88000 highway miles on it and has always had a dino oil in it. I would like to switch to a synthetic oil. Could you assist me in choosing the correct weight and brand of oil please? I do use 0w-30 GC and Gold Castrol syn in my other cars but didn't know if this would be a good choice in this car with this amount of miles. Thanks!

GC is a good choice. I would think that any synthetic would be also.
turbo+dino+88k=??

Might be worth inspecting the engine(valve cover removal) for sludge.

I would not flush the engine but, would consider doing an AutoRX before changing to a good synthetic like Castrol or Mobil 1 USING the manufactures viscosity recomendations.

I use GC, Amsoil, and Mobil 1 in my 2.3 Turbo (S70), and all have performed well. BTW, you can’t just take off the valve cover on the Volvo “white” engines. The head on these motors are constructed like a motorcycle engine (e.g., cam bearings are built into the cover. I run a 5,000 mile oil change interval.

I'm running 5w-30 Red Line in my 2.3 turbo, changing at 5k miles with 147k total miles. So far, do good, I just hope the transmission lasts as long as the engine.

Yankees1
I am hunting for one myself and have seen a couple already all had a kind of crusty sludge/varnish on the oil fill cap, and also some on the dip stick, just above the max oil level where the dip stick kinks into a 'Z' did you also find that??
It scared me off a bit (all had been priced kinda low)
Please let me know if you also found some brownish stuff on oils fill cap.
I think it may be normal fot this type of dip stick and oil fill cap design
Congrats you just got the car I want real bad.

I have almost the same engine. But since my car is an XC70 MY 2003 i have the 2.5T.

Im using BP Visco 7000 0W40 in the summer. For the winter im using Agrol F1 Zenith 0W30.

Any syntethic from the bigger brands in viscosity range from 0W40 will be good enough.

I have flushed the engine with Omega 907. Dont know if you can find it where you live.

AutoRX seems to be very popular to use. We dont have it in Sweden so i cant comment.

quote:

Amsoil 5W-40.

After an Auto-RX treatment, I would either use Amsoil 5w-40 or a good conventional 10w-30 such as Havoline, Pennzoil, or Trop Artic and change it every 3000-4000 miles, with periodic Auto-RX clean-up (every 25,000 miles) for a lower cost.

Mobil 1 5W-40...a great oil available at a great price in 5-quart jugs at Wal-Mart ($20). Pretty hard to beat that for a premium synthetic oil.

Auto-Rx, then your choice of an automotive 5W-40. ConocoPhilips 5W-40 oils are very good...76, Kendall, etc, in addition to the others listed.

Ken

I think 40 weight is overkill for a newer Volvo. More appropriate for higher milage to combat consumption perhaps.

The Mobil-1 "classic", (non EP) as some are calling it, 5W-30 is a little thicker than it used to be. It should be fine for your low pressure turbo for <10k. The Amsoil ASL 5W-30 is another that should work fine. I have not decided which of these two to run in my S60 2.5T yet. Although in Houston I will use the 10W-30 varieties. GC 0W-30 and Valvoline Maxlife synthetic might also be a good choices.

Do you not have the OE glovebox manual? With my '95 850 I find the viscosity recommendations to seem a tad on the thicker side as far as winter weight from the chiltons mnauals and the like.

How about giving your local volvo dealer a call to see about a recommendation as well for comparative sake (no offense guys, just trying to "round" the numbers).

What type of operations does the engine see? Just because it's turbo doesn't mean it's run to extemes per say. How long OCI's (miles and time)? Sorry if you mentioned this already.

Have you thought about installing an oil pressure guage to better help you access the appropriate appearent viscosity grade?

kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back