Are Redwing Boots worth it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if Redwing boots are worth the extra $$. I am in the market for some new boots and most people whom I see wearing them cant say enough good things about them except for the price.

Any thoughts please!

Thanks

Durability is what I am looking for. I am sick and tired of wearing pair after pair of boots out. Want something that will at least make it a year

very comfortable, durable and I feel great buying them because they're made in america! I live in the city now and dont ever wear mine but I was thinking the other day I'll go in and get a pair of their normal leather shoes. I would suggest if you buy them that you purchase them from an actual redwing store as they are very helpfull and knowlegable. They even have a thing that you stand on in most stores that shows how you shift your weight when you stand. If not redwing than nicks boots are good too!

http://www.nicksboots.com/

or danner

http://www.danner.com/

depends on what your buying. If your a fireman or logger than nicks for sure!

Nah...I do water treatment. Boots are constantly wet and usually have Chlorine or some other chemical on them. Boots usually wear out at the seams. I figure the chemicals eat at all the seams

I have been happy with Red Wings. I had a pair of Red Wing Worx boots for almost two years. Those are the cheaper made in China ones and they still held up. I replaced them with a pair of made in the USA Red Wings and so far I can't complain at all. They are very comfortable for being steel toed.

I used to get about a year out of store brands: Sears, Wolverines, Timberlands, etc.. That's wearing them at least 5 days a week, 10hr. a day in agriculture conditions.

I switched to Redwings about 5 years ago and get 2 years out of them. Obenauff's boot dressing is great.

Sadly, only a VERY small part of their line is made in the U.S. anymore. Yes, they are now Chinatized!!!!!
smirk2.gif

I wear red wings for last 10 years 6 days a week 12 hours a day hold up great and will not wear anything other than red wings USA made boot #2226. steel toe. Work with solvents and paints never wore a thread or a seam out. Soul wears like iron only reason need new pair I wear the insides out after a 1.5 year span of hard use.

I like my Red Wings. I'm not saying there aren't other good work boots, but I like my Red Wings. I typically wear mine 5 days a week, 10+ hours a day, and usuaully get 2 years or so out of a pair before I splurge on a new pair. I'm in a lot of wet environments, so the waterproofing is important - the only pair that failed me went when the sole actually cracked after 2.5 years. I view the $180 or so every two years as a minor price to pay...

I also second the notion of going to a an actual red wing shoe store. The one I use will not let you tell them what size you wear. You will have your foot measured to start with, and they keep a record of the boots you buy so at replacement time, tell them who you are, and walah, he comes out with the same boot if you were happy. There is a reason I have not spent a dime on workshoes elsewhere since getting my first pair there over 11 years ago.

Not for me they are not worth it! I walk several miles each day on granite railroad ballast and the soles do not hold up for more than six months at a time. The wolverines I have now (which were half the price of Red Wings and twice as comfortable) are now at a year old with better than half sole left. For the line of work I am in, Red Wings are just too much money for the service life I got from them.

Excellent comments everyone...thanks...I guess I will have to try them out to see if they will last for me. The only way of knowing for sure.

Not as good as they used to be, in my opinion anyway. redwings used to last me years and still look good. Since they have been out-sourced they don,t seem to last. I also find the same with my chinese made rockports.

Depends on your foot! Some people need a good boot or their feet pay the price after a 13 hour day of walking on re-bar and such others do not need the same level of foot ware. It is trully an individual issue. I like Danner and Redwing boots and will seldom by anything else unless I can try them on first!Same thing goes for any shoe. Some runners need a really good running shoe while others can run in a cheap pair of shoes and be just fine no one can answere tthis question for you. You need to buy a pair and wear them for a while and then ask yourself if they where worth it!

Only owned one pair of Redwings. They wore like iron and thats about the only good thing I can say about them. They were more uncomfortable than cheap store type boots, and they also made my feet smell horrible. I have never had a problem with foot odor before and didnt after I got rid of them.

I bought a pair of Dr. Martens to replace them, 100% difference. And the Docs are made in China, the RWs were made in the U.S. I recently bought a pair of Wolverines to alternate with the Dr. Martens and found that I cannot find a boot in my city made in the U.S. Not even at the boot stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back