Difference in MMO and Rislone

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a kid in the 70's a buddy of mines Dad used the stuff religiously at every oil change. He kept it by the case in the carport shed. I never thought of Rislone and MMO as being similar type products, but I guess they might be.

I never tried Risoline, but have been using MMO for 35+ years now. No complaints.

Originally Posted By: Tortured_Soul
Which one would be better for a car that burns oil???

How much oil are you burning.

Neither one really. They will clean the motor up some, but if it's worn out Lucas is the stuff to use until you can trade it in. I worked at a used car lot during the summer and the Lucas stuff was what was preferred for a smoking engine or slipping transmission. It would make a dog seem OK til it was off the lot.

Used car = buyer beware!!

MMO == Light penetrating + lubricating oils.

Rislone Engine Treatment == Detergents/penetrating oils etc, in a motor oil base.

Rislone (when used as directed: 20% fill) won't change the bulk properties of the motor oil, keeping it within grade. MMO (when used as a 20% fill) will dilute the motor oil causing the top end viscosity to drop a grade and improving cold flow.

For a car that burns oil, the issue is preventing blow by/upward seepage of oil. You might want to try some Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabiliser, or perhaps a can of Restore (as a last resort).

Wow!?!
We have come full circle.

People on BITOG actually saying that Lucas is the way to go for engines burning oil?
Why not just get 60-70 weight motor oil and know what you are getting?

Or why not look into some High Mileage oil, perhaps Penzoil High Mileage in the 10w40 flavor if you want to go up a grade.

I would really, REALLY worry about the Lucas being a low grade oil thickener that will only break down and form more sludge.
Sure it sells like hotcakes, but how many people have done research as to how the stuff works?
There is a reason that engine manufacturers recommend oil and not grease for your engine.

Right, it's just a crutch to get one to quit smoking or knocking.

Four quarts of Lucas in the crankcase of a Ford Tauras (sp) will make it run like a good car for a little while.

If a product will stop oil burning depends on a lot of things. First and easiest fix is replacing the PCV valve with an OEM valve and making sure the PCV plumbing is not clogged up. That alone can be a major cause of oil use. Next is valve seals, if they're bad you'll use oil. The ring packs can be dirty, and sticking, if this is the case, MMO or Risoline can help. Rings, or valve guides can be bad, or other engine parts worn out. In this case a thicker oil might help.

Bottom line is in a few instances a simple PCV change or oil additive can help. For worn internal engine parts, no additive is going to fix broken parts or worn out parts. Thicker oil, or the addition of Schafffers #132, STP, Lucas, or Restore to name a few, might slow the oil use down but it will not fix the problem.

Originally Posted By: c3po

Well in the last 3,000 miles it's burned up 2 quarts... I'll have to check the PCV.

I've tried Restore before but it didn't help. I didn't leave in in very long though.

Originally Posted By: c3po

Well in the last 3,000 miles it's burned up 2 quarts... I'll have to check the PCV.

I've tried Restore before but it didn't help. I didn't leave in in very long though.

What is the year, make, and model of your vehicle.

What type of oil do you use.

What are your oil change intervals.

Are you the original owner.

What engine do you have.

02 Nissan Sentra SE-R 2.5

GT-1 High Performance Synthetic Blend

6,000 mile OCI

2nd owner...

If you are the 2nd owner do you know how many miles were on the car when you got it, and how many miles do you have now.

I have never heard of GT-1 High Performance Synthetic Blend, do you know who makes this oil.

I added MMO to the oil in my GF's '97 Camry (lives by you, T.S.) a couple times at about 2/3 Qt. about 1,000 miles before a each oil change.

It used to burn about 1/2 Qt. every 2 weeks (1,000 miles).

Now, it doesn't burn at all in over 3,000 miles!

Thanks to MMO!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I added MMO to the oil in my GF's '97 Camry (lives by you, T.S.) a couple times at about 2/3 Qt. about 1,000 miles before a each oil change.

Thanks to MMO!

Sounds good! It probably got to the ring packs and cleaned them up!

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Thanks to MMO!

Sounds good! It probably got to the ring packs and cleaned them up!

Right.

This car saw nothing buy Wal*mart oil changes & Fram OCOD filters for a long time. It has not seen any additives before either.

Her gas mileage jumped 15-20%, but I also ran Seafoam & MMO in the oil for that...
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back