2005 Subaru Outback - Oil Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone:

I did a first oil change on my 2005 subaru outback since it just fell out of warranty and I can avoid the dealer. I followed the recommended oil capacity in the book - 5.8 qts. I pulled the dipstick and it appears to be about a quart low. When I poured the used oil from my pan into a container, it was about 6.5 qts. Could subaru be totally off on their 5.8 qts in their manual? Could I have the wrong dipstick? Could 6.5 qts be right? I hope someone could provide some guidance. I do have another subaru. a 2004 legacy that takes 4.2. The manual says 4.2 the dipstick is dead on. I never had an issue with the 2004 like this.

Thanks!

You must have the H6 3.0 so its 6 quarts. (Per Amsoil's look up)

Subarus stink for what they put in their engine as dipsticks. Its VERY hard to read what the proper oil level is.

Bill

The dipstick on the nissan VQ engine is equally as useless as the subaru one!

bogusjack,

The best way that I have found to get the correct oil level is to drive the car, park it at your house (somewhere level like a garage) and leave it overnight. Then pull the stick the next morning when the oil is cold. It won't run off the dipstick as quickly and will have a slightly darker golden colour, making it easier to read.

If it's still low, I would add until the dipstick shows full, and disregard the manual. Most manuals specify a capacity, but also say to double check on the dipstick to make sure the oil addition was correct (unless your car has a documented issue with incorrect dipsticks!)

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
You must have the H6 3.0 so its 6 quarts. (Per Amsoil's look up)

Subarus stink for what they put in their engine as dipsticks. Its VERY hard to read what the proper oil level is.

Bill

Agreed! My 08 Forester dipstick will report almost a quart low on the dipstick, but half a quart will bring it to the full line. Mileage may vary so experiment to be sure.

The manual also says 4.2 litres with filter, and 4.4 brings it close to the line on oil change day. Amsoil's application guide says 4.5 litres, which makes more sense. I would trust the app guide from Amsoil in this case.

I've got a 2006 Forester - same complaint about hard to read dipstick and seemingly incorrect oil amount.
I always check cold but figure one side of the stick should be accurate. The back side shows a higher level than the front.
Manual says 4.2 quarts but 4 1/2 seems closer.
Anybody know how far the oil level is from the crank? I'm good with adding some extra as long as it doesn't end up being whipped up by the crankshaft.

I, too, am guessing you have the H6. I had a 2001 and the manual stated 5.8 quarts. I just used to throw in 6 litres and call it a day. Six litres used to bring it to the full line on the dipstick. As someone else mentioned, the dipstick is easiest to read first thing in the morning after the vehicle has been sitting all night.

I think a litre is a bit more than a quart.

That 6 is a good engine. Not the most fuel efficient, but it has a timing chain with no change interval like a belt, and I found it remarkably smooth. The AWD on the automatics is almost unstoppable. If you ever get stuck in the snow, you've ventured way too far off the beaten track.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back