Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Ok - Ubuntu is running via VMware :)

I have a few "?":

why is FF 3.0 on Ubuntu? "check for updates" is also non clickable (grayed out), so one can't update FF on Ubuntu?

Internet works - idk how the heck, though: it's showing a WIRED connection, and I am on wireLESS!!! but somehow I have internet !!

I can't do any cool graphics stuff..(i guess i need to be on dual boot mode for that)

Is there a way to import my bookmarks to FF on Ubuntu?

thanks.

Firefox updates via the OS as well as a host of other things when needed

Wireless can be flakey with some cards, since yours works your good.

For graphics stuff try GIMP, it's a Photoshop type clone. There's even a plugin to make it more photoshop like

For bookmarks you should be able to copy the text file over.

I have a few "?":

why is FF 3.0 on Ubuntu? "check for updates" is also non clickable (grayed out), so one can't update FF on Ubuntu?

Internet works - idk how the heck, though: it's showing a WIRED connection, and I am on wireLESS!!! but somehow I have internet !!

I can't do any cool graphics stuff..(i guess i need to be on dual boot mode for that)

thanks.

VMWare makes a pretend network adapter for the guest to use and then connects it to the hosts network setup. That's why Ubuntu says it has a wired connection, because that's what VMWare told it.

What version of Ubuntu did you use to setup this image? Jaunty - the latest release - has firefox 3.5.

I have a few "?":

thanks.

System>Administration>Update Manager (if you don't want to wait to see if there are updates available). You're welcome.

Last edited:

Just to expound a bit on the answer(s) already given - For the most part, unless you manually install something otherwise, *all* of the software that you use and can get for your Ubuntu system is from one of a handful of "repositories"; most from Ubuntu, but some from others who might provide, for example, codecs and plugins that Ubuntu cannot legally redistribute (like Flash, Acrobat, Skype, mp3, etc.) Google "medibuntu" for an excellent example.

The beauty of this setup is that you never have to worry about updating individual pieces of software, and you never have to worry about other programs that a program needs to function - The Ubuntu folks (or the maintainers of the third party repositories) take care of all of that for you.

To that end, you're technically using an Ubuntu *version* of the Firefox browser (in fact, in the Synaptic Package Manager, you may very well see the version of Firefox to be, for example, 3.5.3-ubuntu3, meaning that it is Mozilla's 3.5.3 version, and the third revision of modifications and patches made by the Ubuntu developers. An "update" may upgrade you to 3.5.3-ubuntu4. The browser itself has not changed in that case, but rather the Ubuntu developers had made a further modification to the source code, resulting in revision 4); one that the Ubuntu folks have compiled themselves from the source code, modifying and patching it as they see fit to integrate into the broader Ubuntu operating system. When a new version is released by Mozilla, the Ubuntu folks grab the source code, go over it and presumably make it available through their software repository within a short period of time.

Be aware, though, that most of the time, they stick with the version that came with the release and only update the software incrementally with security patches. This is because larger updates to the software represent changes big enough that the extensive testing that goes into the release was done on what would now be an older version. An example may clear this up a bit: I use Debian, which is the OS on which Ubuntu is largely based. Their latest stable version, 5 or "Lenny", comes with Iceweasel (the Debian version of Firefox) version 3, NOT 3.5. Thre have been a few updates from the official Debian respositories on up to one that is reasonbly new for the version 3 "branch", but at NO POINT will 3.5 ever become officially available for Lenny. Why? Because the gazillion testers and developers refined the Lenny version to be ridiculously stable using version 3, and the 3.5 version represented enough of an overhaul to the code that it'd require a LOT more testing and refinement to call it "stable". You can easily get 3.5 from unofficial or testing repositories, but at that point you are no longer technically running the Debian supported "stable" software.

Thanks a lot for the great info, UC50IC.

Grtartiste: I will try that.

Calvin - I did use the latest: 9.0.4 (Jaunty Jackalope); it has FF 3.0.8, and FF for canonical V 1.0
(C) shows 1998-2009, however, so perhaps it's not "old" and what UC50IC posted seems to make sense.

97GTP: sorry, I was unclear: when I said "graphics" i didn't mean photo editing etc; i just meant appearence Graphics on the windows' movements, etc, where you can make them appear like cubes, balls, etc. (nothing imp., but cool) - i did some reading and indeed it seems u can't activate those things when running ubuntu from a VM
frown.gif

as soon as I find a good back up plan for my win xp pro, I will install Ubuntu with a partition, though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back