Brand new Ducati - Redline oil, Amsoil filter???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just joined after doing allot of research online and on this forum! Here is my first question...

I just bought a brand new Ducati 848 superbike, wet clutch.

I am going in for my initial 600 mile service on Tuesday. After allot of research I have bought an Amsoil oil filter and Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil. I also read that this Redline oil will be great for my wet clutch.

Anyway, I have no doubt the Redline oil and filter I purchased are among the best I could have choosen so that is not what my main concern is about, however if you think of something else I should have gone with I'd love to hear about it for next oil change!

My main concern is exactly WHEN I should change over to the Redline oil? The bike came from Ducati filled with "Shell Advance Ultra 4". When I go to the dealership on Tuesday an oil change & filter is of course part of the initial service.

Should I take the dealership my Redline oil and Amsoil filter now at 600 miles, OR let them use whatever they use and break it in more before going to Redline? FYI, my riding style is not to baby it while breaking it in. I ride a moderate bit agressively, but not like I stole it lol. I do greatly vary the RPM's while in the same gear too. I've only even been to 9K once and that was not until 400 miles or so and I was in 3rd gear working up to it at half throttle or so, then I let off the throttle leaving it to slow down while still in 3rd gear. Almost all my riding has been blow 6.5K but always above 4K. Hopefully this will give you an idea of how much breakin I have been able to induce at this point.

I don't want to switch of Redline before the engine is fully broken in from what I can read online, is that correct?

Thanks for any advice and wisdom,

The newb :)

Last edited:
Don't know but not Amsoil or Redline and the Shell Advance 4 Ducati uses isn't sold in the U.S. so I'd imgaine Motul or something more generic but probably still something quasi synthetic, just not Ester or PAO based...

I would go with the cheapest possible. 1,000 miles OCI or when the newb owner kills himself, whatever comes first.

Dude, you shouldn't be surfing the forums at work. Try and be more grown up like me.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I would go with the cheapest possible. 1,000 miles OCI or when the newb owner kills himself, whatever comes first.

Dude, you shouldn't be surfing the forums at work. Try and be more grown up like me.
crackmeup2.gif

Hey troll, I can email your firewall records to our boss, then what! lol. Besides, atleast all my vehicles run lmao!

Oh, and I didn't over pay for a Honda!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Mobil 1 motorcycle oil also works well in your Ducati application. What is the warranty on that bike?

2 years from Ducati, then I bought an additional 4 for only $700. It's money in the bank with what parts on these things cost! Porsche has nothing on Ducati lol!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 92GTA
Originally Posted By: BuickGN

crackmeup2.gif

Hey troll, I can email your firewall records to our boss, then what! lol. Besides, atleast all my vehicles run lmao!

Oh, and I didn't over pay for a Honda!

LOL. My Honda is ready anytime to smoke the Mulletmobile GTA.

Good thing you don't have doors on that bike or in a couple months the GN would be blowing them off.

Why don't you go and drink some Yeager before that trip through the canyon tonight. I've got dibs on your new computer if you turn up missing tomorrow.

Seriously though, don't kill yourself, you haven't returned my snap ring pliers yet.

A. You have chosen two very good products as you know.

B. Right off the Redline bottles I have "Not for break-in of engines - allow 3000 miles."

C. By intial service does that mean they are providing the oil and filter as part of the package deal of purchase? If so why not take the free ride and run it another 1000 or so.

Go another 1k or so on dino then go to Redline. 3k might be a little conservative. I think I only went 2K on my last break-in, then to Redline.

Now I will wait for someone to remind me of all the cars that come with a GIII "synthetic" like M1 on pre-run enignes and say the best cars in the world break-in on synthetics. Oh was that baiting??? Certainly they are not using a GIV Polyol Ester and that is what we are talking about.

Ask Dave though.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
A. You have chosen two very good products as you know.

B. Right off the Redline bottles I have "Not for break-in of engines - allow 3000 miles."

Ask Dave though.

Dave will tell you 3000 miles. I usually wait 5000.

Yes, all service is free for the first 12 months with a Ducati, unlimited mileage.

I hadn't even read my bottles yet, only their web page for that specific oil and I didn't catch the 3000 miles thing!

Ok, I will for sure just let them do their thing with whatever they use then when I do my second oil change I'll do the Redline.

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I will wait for someone to remind me of all the cars that come with a GIII "synthetic" like M1 on pre-run enignes and say the best cars in the world break-in on synthetics. Oh was that baiting??? Certainly they are not using a GIV Polyol Ester and that is what we are talking about.

You aren't baiting and I'm not trying to start anything either but I do believe Mobil 1 oils are group IV PAOs and group V esters. Having said that, I always break in my engines on dino. It just feels good. :)

I changed my oil on my Speed Triple to Mobil 1 4T 15/50 at 500 miles, following the manual, and the bike runs great at 36,000 miles. I use the Silver Cap 15/50 and Purolator Pure One filter now.

Oh was that baiting??? Certainly they are not using a GIV Polyol Ester and that is what we are talking about.)))))))))

Your right, most believe all synthetics are the same, several of the group V type synthetic oils, give warnings about using for breakin.

You're goin' about this wrong. Just use the Duc oem filters and ask the dealer to upgrade the oil to whatever the dealer thinks is better than the dealer fill, if you must.

Go another 1k or so on dino then go to Redline. 3k might be a little conservative. I think I only went 2K on my last break-in, then to Redline.

+1 Redline has a high flashpoint. Great for summer in the Norton.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back