2008 Ford F250 6.4 Powerstroke 9914 miles RTS 5-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
My most recent UOA with Shell RTS. Iron seems high, but the mileage is still fairly low. What do you guys think?

9914miles.jpg

Last edited:
That is plenty of iron for 5000 mile OCI, on your 4th oil change.
Potasium/sodium is present, but your low milage intervals oil changes, make it harder to reveal higher PPM and the posibility of coolant contamination from the oil cooler below the oil filter.
and why on the first report the vic@100C 10.93 so low? with only 1,584 miles. sheared that batch quick!
I wonder how the TBN was holding up in this application but no report shown.

Last edited:
I too feel the Iron is high, considering I also have magnets on the oil filter cap, and there was some residue on them. This truck no longer has the cat/dpf, and did not regen during the last OCI. It does make ~490HP/1070tq to the wheels, and is driven responsibly. I do tow with it, and pulled 13,500# and 8000# trailers during this OCI. Due to the future mileage this truck will see, all oil changes will be at the 5000mi mark. That is about a year of service on the oil, so no TBN for now.

Last edited:
I too have been running this same oil and just sent off a UOA w/ 9900 miles on it. I'll post as soon as I get it back.

Mine also no longer has a DPF, but there was/is one regen on my oil.

What job number is your truck and have you had the radiator/venturi T work performed? Have you noticed any coolant loss?

Originally Posted By: scottjima

What job number is your truck and have you had the radiator/venturi T work performed? Have you noticed any coolant loss?

Job 3 4-08 build date. It had the venturi T on it from the factory. I did notice about a quart of coolant missing from the degas bottle around the 5000mi mark, but there were some instances of boost over 57psi during that time. I also found the degas bottle cap to be a little loose. I added the quart of coolant about 4000 miles ago and the level has remained steady.

I'd stick with 5k mile OCIs in this case.

You're not going to see "normal" numbers in a UOA, making that kind of power. All bets for routine OCIs are off.

Mine is also a 4/08 build w/ the venturi done from the factory... I am running the 210 Spartan tune... From your numbers and boost, I would assume you are running the 250 or 275... My V2 version of the 210 does not allow boost that high.

With those types of mods and no DPF's to worry about you should look at swapping to a heavily fortified diesel oil loaded with old school ZDDP. As stated earlier all bets are off having your UOA look like a typical stocker. 57 PSI of boost is a lil outside factory specs LOL!

Originally Posted By: scottjima
Mine is also a 4/08 build w/ the venturi done from the factory... I am running the 210 Spartan tune... From your numbers and boost, I would assume you are running the 250 or 275... My V2 version of the 210 does not allow boost that high.

I have two versions of the 275. I have v.2 that I was running at the time of the 57+psi of boost and coolant loss. I also have the v.3 I believe. I got that one to correct some surging issues. The boost doesn't go nearly as high with that one, and it feels just about as fast. I daily drive on the 210, and even towed a 13,500# toyhauler for my buddy that wanted to see what the 6.4 is made of. I have seen something like 44psi on the 210 loaded and pulling a grade.

potasium is high, the oil cooler is leaching coolant additives into the oil,the only thing that seperates the oil and coolant is a gasket.
Javier

with those questionable levels of silicon, potassium and iron over several OCIs, I would send a sample into Butler CAT lab and get a test.

take the lab reports to your Ford regional service engineer. may save you an engine past warranty failure.

From what I have heard from people with 6.4's, the EGR was not significantly changed, or changed enough to make a big improvement. The 6.4's have prove just as reliable or unreliable or even more so than the 6.0's it seems across a population of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back