Unfair criticism of the new Rolls-Royce Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010-rolls-royce-ghost-front-angle-588x401.jpg

Rolls-Royce introduced their new "entry level" model, the Ghost, last week at the Frankfurt auto show. Almost immediately some automotive journalists started panning it because of a lot of the new Rolls' architecture under the skin is shared with the new BMW 7 series. But so what? Does this really make the car any less a "true" Rolls-Royce? Where were/are these same journalists with similar complaints when it comes to the Bentley Continental and Flying Spur? These cars are built directly on the VW D1 platform, otherwise known as the VW Phaeton. Should they not be considered "true" Bentleys? In short, for both RR and Bentley, their entry level models are based on platforms from their parent companies, BMW and Volkswagen.

Bentley's new flagship, the Mulsanne, (introduced earlier this month at Pebble Beach, and then again last week at Frankfurt) is a "clean sheet" design from the wheels up. And Rolls-Royce's flagship, the Phantom, is an original design as well. Thus for both marques, their top-of-the-line models are brand-specific as far as the architecture goes, but the Phantom uses a purpose-built version of BMWs V12 engine, while the Mulsanne is powered by a revised and updated V8 first designed and built by RR/Bentley in Crewe nearly fifty years ago.

62494_bentley_mulsanne_intro.jpg

Nice shape, but the headlights make it look like some kind of pokemon or something.

The horizontal rectangular lighting on the larger model is really distinguished and effective. Style is a personal thing and subjective, but I find the headlight treatment playful and silly. That would kill it for me. That, and I can't afford it.

I can appreciate the fine machinery though!

Bottom photo in my post above is the new Bentley Mulsanne. I'm assuming that's the one with the headlights you don't like? I didn't like them either at first, but it's growing on me. When they get one in at the Bentley dealer in High Point I'll ride up there and see how it looks in person.

The Rolls Ghost (top photo in my post above) is okay, but I still prefer the look of the Phantom:

Rolls-Royce-Phantom_Tungsten_2008_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

I used to "live" in a long-term motel where BMW folks would also stay. I'd see prototype RRs in the parking lot and always thought the the headlights were just stuck in because it was something they had, apparently not. The tail lights were just add-ons but they were changed for production.
These cars would have extra dark tinted windows with only front bucket seats and no real interior to speak of. The rear would have computers bolted to the floor boards. They'd have extra sheet metal bits pop-riveted to the body.

It's just automotive purism at it's finest. These guy's may continue to be disappointed later on, as globalisation and technology sharing is only on the rise. I don't have a problem with it really, as it's generally a win-win for everyone and the true art is in the tuning.

A Bentley & RR can't really be appreciated by viewing a picture. I had no real sense of size that these behemoths are. We visited the Lamborghini/Bentley/RR dealer in Orlando when we were there on vacation a couple weeks ago. They had (4) RR Phantom with one sporting a sold sticker. They had 6 Bentley with 2 used. They had 4 Lamborghini - (1) Murcielago & 3 Gallardo with 1 each from 2008, 2009, & 2010. We sat in all of the vehicles in all the showrooms except the RR that was sold and the $450k Lamborghini Murcielago.

Anyway, the RR is about as tall as my wife. The front of the Phantom is like a Mack truck. The backseat is about 1 time zone away from the front of the car. The woodwork craftsmanship did impress me though. It seems they use real carpet.

Originally Posted By: benjamming

Anyway, the RR is about as tall as my wife. The front of the Phantom is like a Mack truck. The backseat is about 1 time zone away from the front of the car. The woodwork craftsmanship did impress me though. It seems they use real carpet.

AS they should be. while the reliability factor with the new rolls Royce Bentley has made leaps and bounds, To me they lost the soul that makes them unique. The Bentley GT became the new Mercedes SL. the brand kind of jumped the shark. Don't get me wrong if i had F*** You money i would definitely have a Red Label in my garage.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
2010-rolls-royce-ghost-front-angle-.jpg

Looks like a Chrysler.
wink.gif

Hehe. I think DCX and RR were on the same page when they set their stylists lose to design the 300 and the Phantom (and the Ghost in the picture you posted takes almost all its styling cues from the Phantom). "Big, bold, in your face" is the main styling theme of both cars.

The 300M was the previous generation LH body with front wheel drive. The photo you posted is the current LX platform with rear wheel drive, specifically the 300C.

Originally Posted By: Anies
That second image looks like a Chrysler 300M.

Chrysler-300C-002.jpg

I stand corrected. The second image looks like a 300M and a 300C. Not much a Dodge/Chrysler guy(in regards to info), I do know about Jeeps.

But they look like that Rolls / vice-versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back