Michelin Weatherwise II on "sale", are they OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need new tires for the Sentra (175/70-13). Sears has them for $68 and buy 4, get $100 off, so say $43 each for my size.

I'm looking for three things out of them: Long life (they are rated for 80,000 miles), low noise, good resistance to hydroplaning and don't really care about "sporty" handling and the such.

Sounds like a plan, or are these junk-Sears re-badged Michelins, and if so, what are some other good 13 inchers?

i sold a ton of those when i worked for sears. they were pretty decent, something i would put on a commuter or a flip sale car. for that price its a real good deal, especially since finding anything decent in 13" is getting harder and harder to do. especially since cars like mine have brake rotors that big from the factory.

Last edited:
If you have access to a wholesale club, then you might be able to find a better deal. I just looked up your tire size at Sam's and a Michelin X-radial (Sam's labeled) is $59.44 with a $70 rebate off any set of 4 Michelins. Which will come out to be lower than your Sear's price. The installation is probably cheaper as well with road hazard and lifetime balancing.

Doesn't the Sears deal apply to all Michelins? I was planning to get a set of Hydroedges. They're only $10 more and not only do they get a great rating on Tire rack, they have a 90k warranty.

I have the WWII on my Civic. They have 70k miles on them now, should get another 10 or so. They're pretty quiet and wear very evenly and hold a balance pretty well. Seem to have low rolling resistance. Wet traction is OK, snow traction is poor. I'll buy them again.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
Doesn't the Sears deal apply to all Michelins?

Correct. They also have a deal with BFGoodrich and Falken.

We had a set of these on our '03 Grand Caravan, back when they were called the Michelin Agility. Overall, a solid tire. I agree with the notion that if the Michelin X Radial is available in your size, it should be a cheaper tire. It's also a better tire. We had the Agility on our '03 van and have the X Radial on our '07 van (pretty much the same van) and the X Radial is a better tire overall. It seems to ride a bit softer and has better winter traction.

They're essentially the same tire, though. The Harmony, Destiny, X Radial, and WeatherWise II are all based on the same structure, with small variances in the tread pattern. The Harmony is sold at Michelin dealers, the Destiny at Discount Tire, the X Radial at clubs (like Sam's and Costco), and the WeatherWise II at Sears. You can't really go wrong with any of them.

My dad has a set on his Camry and when I was diving it the other day, I remember thinking how much I liked the ride and handling compared to the GY Integrity's that were on it before. Very nice. I just want the Hydroedges for a bit more wet/snow performance and the higher wear rating. The Weatherwise's are solid.

Last edited:
I just want the Hydroedges for a bit more wet/snow performance and the higher wear rating.

I'm not sure how you feel about Consumer Reports in general. I'm not much keen on their car reviews, but their tire testing is supposedly instrumented testing, and probably a good data point.

The Michelin HydroEdge, at least back in 2005 was not ALL that impressive. It only scored a "Good" for aquaplane resistance (most other tires, including the Michelin X Radial and Michelin Harmony scored better). Its snow traction was also "Good", but not remarkable. Its wet braking was "Very Good", but that was matched by many other top-rated tires as well. In other words, at least back then, the HydroEdge didn't really stand out in the areas in which it was marketed.

Now that Michelin has emblazoned the HydroEdge with the Green X moniker, denoting its low rolling resistance, its performance is curious. Would you believe the Goodyear Integrity out-braked, in the dry, the Michelin HydroEdge (and every other competitor) in a recent Tire Rack test? It also posted higher dry skidpad numbers than all of its competitors in that test. It was handily whipped by the others in the areas of wet traction, but at least on the dry, the Integrity held its own (and then some).

Interesting reading:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=121

They don't have WW's in my size and the Hydroedge is the best balance of performance and treadwear they have. If someone were giving me a set of Pilot Exalto A/S's then that's what I'd get, but when I'm buying, $10 more a tire for a 45k vs. 90k tread warranty is a no go.

I was considering Kuhmo Solus KR21 and General Altimax RT but all reviews on TireRack suggest their wearing out closer to 60k while there's multiple accounts of the HydroEdges going 100k+.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
I just want the Hydroedges for a bit more wet/snow performance and the higher wear rating.

I'm not sure how you feel about Consumer Reports in general. I'm not much keen on their car reviews, but their tire testing is supposedly instrumented testing, and probably a good data point.

The Michelin HydroEdge, at least back in 2005 was not ALL that impressive. It only scored a "Good" for aquaplane resistance (most other tires, including the Michelin X Radial and Michelin Harmony scored better). Its snow traction was also "Good", but not remarkable. Its wet braking was "Very Good", but that was matched by many other top-rated tires as well. In other words, at least back then, the HydroEdge didn't really stand out in the areas in which it was marketed.

Now that Michelin has emblazoned the HydroEdge with the Green X moniker, denoting its low rolling resistance, its performance is curious. Would you believe the Goodyear Integrity out-braked, in the dry, the Michelin HydroEdge (and every other competitor) in a recent Tire Rack test? It also posted higher dry skidpad numbers than all of its competitors in that test. It was handily whipped by the others in the areas of wet traction, but at least on the dry, the Integrity held its own (and then some).

Interesting reading:

Wow....

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock

Interesting reading:

If you want anything close to good wet traction, you shouldn't be remotely looking at a low RR tire. You will probably need to go a step up into the high performance all season or even summer.

I have about 10K on a set of 14" of the similar Michelin Harmonys. I really like them so far, excellent dry and wet traction.

Originally Posted By: moklock
I have about 10K on a set of 14" of the similar Michelin Harmonys. I really like them so far, excellent dry and wet traction.

Those seem to be pretty popular around here...

The ones I'm looking at aren't the Green-X. I could care less about rolling resistance.

You may need to buy them soon. The way I understand it, Michelin is phasing all HydroEdge tires to the Green X variety.

Good and helpful input from all. I just bought a set. Really nice tires and a good deal. Also, I was pleasantly surprised that they weren't made in China. They are made in the United Kingdom.

You bought a set of the Michelin WeatherWise II? I don't think Michelin makes any tires in China, at least not for the American market. I've owned Michelins that were made in Germany, Canada, and the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back