How much for M1 Garand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about purchasing one for my father who is a Marine Corps vet from the 1950's. He often speaks fondly of this weapon and I would like to surprise him someday with one as a gift. Does anybody know where I could find a field grade M1 for a really good price?

Depends....Springfield Armoury is making them new but they are useing a lot of cast and stamped parts. THe OEM parts where all forgings which are far stronger. For example an investment cast action might be about to take 150,000 rounds before it was shot where a forged one might easily take 500,000 before needing to be replaced.

Their are companies that build them from OEM GI parts all done to OEM specifications including finish and those are expensive.Around the same price as a new Springfield version. The ones that came back to the USA after being used by other countries are dubious at best a mix match of parts of different rates of wear and it takes a real good guy that knows his M1's to judge them in that condition. Then you have CMP purchased ones in various grades. When I was a kid you could get one that was in like new condition for around $300 today you can only get ones that are in shooting shape as in good enough to use in the field for huntiong and they run about $500 from CMP last time I checked.

In H.S. I was issued a M1 Garrad for drill and a National Match M14-Minus the selct fire for competition.I still have my leather shooting Jacket with a big Varsity JRROTC Patch on the back. My rifles all wear the same sling that my rifle in H.S. wore!

The Chineese had been importing some too all the way up in the late 1990's until Clintons bill passed. They where made by Norinco and where non-selectfire M14 configuration.

If you can get one in decent shape as in gas block is in good shape and the timing ion the reciver is good you can get great new barrels from Kreiger in National Match form or from their sister company Criterion and from Wilson and a few other's.

I prefer the ease of a Mag as ont he M14 over end blocks but truth be told if you build it right a Garrand can easily be used to kill human's and animals out to 1000 meters with modern optics and decent training! In the 300m to 800m range it is devastingly effective. My Grand Father used an M1 Carbine for the most part as he cooked for Patton and his Army. One time though he had a kitchen near the front that was open except for a tent to keep snow from falling directly on them he saw a German hiding behind a tree and he picked up a Garrand that a solder had layed on the table to get some soup and shot him through the tree. He fell over and some of the other infrantry guys that where their ran over to make sure he was dead. That was a 300m shot arounding to Grandpa. THe 30-06 takes a lot of guff for not being super accurate but it is very accurate and has enough power with low recoil to hunt almost anything you will ever need to hunt in North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back