Synthetic Oil Choice for 2009 M35 (RWD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just sold my 2004 V70R which I kept on a steady diet of Amsoil 5W30 and GC 0W30. A few weeks ago I bought (at a terrific price) a new 2009 M35 RWD (3.5 L V6 w/ 7spd AT). To keep up the warranty Infiniti requires OCI of 3,750 (which for me should be about every 5-6 mos.). I plan on using only synthetic oil. Unfortunately the SA at the dealership balked at extending the OCI or using 0W30 oil rather than recommended 5W30 (the owners manual is quite explicit on this). I have enough left over Amsoil (ASL) 5W30 for one oil change (which I will use for one of the OC in the next year or two) but I can't rationalize using buying more oil of this quality and cost for this short a OCI. My main alternatives right now are 1) Penzoil Platinum $20/5qt 2) Mobil 1 5W30 at $22/5 qt. I know both of these are primarily group III synthetics but I think for this OCI either of them should easily hold up and yet keep the new engine a bit cleaner than dino.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what synthetic I should use to keep this engine in tip top shape and during the warranty period?

I question the 3750 OCI. Really question it. Why would you require severe operating maintenance? I've had good luck with Castrol synthetic - was a hater then found i've been neglecting one of the best performing "fauxsyns" and syntec have additsation up with the best if not the best, if you require that assurance. Because of my driving style and my requirement for NO ebngine noise - I sub a pint of 10w-40 syntec with a 5w-30 fill. This works stupendously. The 0w-30 may be a good oil but is not the ACEA spec'd oil for this motor, most asian vehicles spec a A1/A5, B5. I prefer my HTHS right between 3 and 3.5 for low fuel dilution, no piston noise and high rpm power making. I might run a dino MCSS or GTX oe Superflo for at least 1 oc past the initial fill. and keep that fill in for at least 1500-2000 miles. Good luck with that nice vehicle!

Last edited:
You should be able to go with Schedule II maintenance which is a 7500 mile OCI, check your manual. I had great results with Syntec 5W-30 in my old VQ35s.

Thanks for the quick responses.

ARCO: I do very much question the OCI/warranty recommendation. I think this is clearly a nod to help dealers by ensuring a steady flow of customers back in for routine service. Clearly when BMW and Volvo were paying for service the OCIs are a lot longer...

GMZ: I agree that Schedule II is right for me, but this calls for 7500 or 6 mos. whichever comes first. Since I will normally drive this vehicle about 7,500- 8,000 miles/year this also puts me on a 3,705-4,000 mile OCI. In my V70R I used Amsoil/GC and (based on UOAs) could go do 9-10 month (6K) OCIs. I could justify the extra cost of Amsoil/Castrol with the extended interval.

Tig: Thanks for the update on the current Mobil blend for 5W30. Is there evidence that the extra group IV in the current blend might be worth the extra $2 over PP 5w30? If were not for the warranty issue I would happily be using up my stock of GC and then move to either the Mobil 1 EP or 0W30 or perhaps Amsoil 5W30.

Originally Posted By: GMZ
You should be able to go with Schedule II maintenance which is a 7500 mile OCI, check your manual.

+1...if the manual's recommendation is like it was in my now sold 2004 G35.

Just sold my 06 M35. I ran Mobil 1 5w30 at 4K OCIs
from from the first change until I switched to
Penzoil Platinum when I saw so many great UOAs
from VQ engines using it. The 3.5 engines seem
to get really good numbers from the PP. That
would be my 1st choice if I were you. Good luck.

Oil changes at these low mileages are a waste of synthetic oil. A name brand dino would be just as good. Last time I checked a Nissan owner's manual, I believe it recommended regular dino motor oil. History shows that regular dino will get you at least 200,000 to 300,000 miles if changed at 4-5,000 mile intervals.

Any real synthetic oil should be good for a one year or at least a 10,000 mile OCI. I used Mobil 1 from the time it came out,and they were advertising a one year, 25,000 mile OCI. I took them at their word and did a one year or 18-20,000 mile OCI until I retired back in 2001. Never, ever, had an engine problem.

When I retired in 2001, my driving dropped to about 6,000 miles a year, so, rather than waste good synthetic on this small mileage, I went back to regular dino. Now, I find that I am driving about 10,000 miles a year and have switched back to M1, using the 10W30 High Mileage formulation. I now have about 8300 miles and 10 months on my latest oil change, the oil still looks good, and the engine has used about one third of a quart.

Well then for your specified use I would go with maybe one of the Mobil Clean oils, the 5000 is dino and the 7500 is a syn blend and both are pretty good from my experience and from UOA we have seen here. If you want to go syn I would not hesitate to go with a grp 3 like PP or Syntec. If it was my money Id stock up on PP while the rebate is on!!

It may seem like a waste to you, but when you own a very
expensive car and make many short trips that are hard
on the oil, 4 to 5k OCIs with synthetics make sense for many.
This interval also provides many with a schedulled
twice a year inspection/service of all other
routine maintenance issues on their cars....Infiniti's severe use schedule is 3750 miles.

When you are more concerned with reliable transportation, getting all service and maintenance done at once and making money is a greater concern than the cost of maintenance this schedule makes sense to many, Thanks for the constructive but
nonapplicable remarks.

Originally Posted By: pb11
Thanks for the quick responses.

ARCO: I do very much question the OCI/warranty recommendation. I think this is clearly a nod to help dealers by ensuring a steady flow of customers back in for routine service. Clearly when BMW and Volvo were paying for service the OCIs are a lot longer...

GMZ: I agree that Schedule II is right for me, but this calls for 7500 or 6 mos. whichever comes first. Since I will normally drive this vehicle about 7,500- 8,000 miles/year this also puts me on a 3,705-4,000 mile OCI. In my V70R I used Amsoil/GC and (based on UOAs) could go do 9-10 month (6K) OCIs. I could justify the extra cost of Amsoil/Castrol with the extended interval.

Tig: Thanks for the update on the current Mobil blend for 5W30. Is there evidence that the extra group IV in the current blend might be worth the extra $2 over PP 5w30? If were not for the warranty issue I would happily be using up my stock of GC and then move to either the Mobil 1 EP or 0W30 or perhaps Amsoil 5W30.

The M1 5-30EP is a very long lasting oil. I change it at 10,000 miles, but easily could go 12-15,000 in my Fords.

Jon,

I'm with you on this one--I just sold my V70R for very close to selling price. One of the major factors in having several buyers was that I had taken immaculate care of it--including synthetic oil at every oil change. Having synthetic oil in since breakin may have cost a bit more ($20 vs. $10) but it is a terrific selling point if you plan to sell the car privately 7-8 years down the road. I'm sure I made back the extra cost of synthetic on the sale of my V70R.

The VQ35 engine likes German Castrol 0-30. This is the engine in the G35. Check out this forum for all the data.

data.http://www.my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/258663-vq-oil-analysis-and-info.html

No need to buy regular oil with all the coupons and rebates out there. Rememeber, fauxSyn is just regular oil with a little more fairy=dust in the bottle
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
No need to buy regular oil with all the coupons and rebates out there. Rememeber, fauxSyn is just regular oil with a little more fairy=dust in the bottle
wink.gif

Maybe, but it gets results for less. Esp with the VQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back