Volvo 2001 S40 Synthetic Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I recently got a turbo 2001 Volvo S40 with 75,000 miles from my parents. They are the original owners and this car has been maintained well with all oil changes from the dealer using synthetic oil at 7,500 mile oil changes. The car is in excellent condition. I plan on changing the oil myself and wanted to see what the experts here recommended. Not sure what brand of oil the dealer used.

Thanks,

Chris

As a user of Mobil 1 synthetic since it first came out back in the 1970's, I would recommend either the M1 0W40 or the M1 10W30 High Mileage oil, at 10,000 mile OCI's.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
As a user of Mobil 1 synthetic since it first came out back in the 1970's, I would recommend either the M1 0W40 or the M1 10W30 High Mileage oil, at 10,000 mile OCI's.

Like you 1999, I've used M1 oils for 31 years with 10,000 OCIs and and have never had an engine problem related to wear. Also all this time my engines have stayed very clean even with some hitting the 300,000 mile plus mark.
The 0-40 or the 10-30HM should work well. Also the 5-40 TDT would be a strong contender.

Don't do 10K mile OCIs. I did it on my 850 non-turbo and it killed the valve stem seals.

Do Mobil1 0w40 and change it every 7500 miles (as the book specifies) and you will be fine.

Of course, all of my customers do 7500 miles on semi-syn Castrol and they SEEM to do fine. However, the insides of those engines look scary. Lots of black chunky bits inside.

Thanks for all the great information. I too live in Florida and have used Mobil1 5w-30 in my Corvette. Should I use the 0w40 in the Volvo here in this constant heat or stick with the 5w30?

PS glad to hear Mobil1 is still the way to go as I have used it for many years in my V8... just wasn't sure about a 4 cylinder that is probably turbo charged.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jchrisf
Thanks for all the great information. I too live in Florida and have used Mobil1 5w-30 in my Corvette. Should I use the 0w40 in the Volvo here in this constant heat or stick with the 5w30?

PS glad to hear Mobil1 is still the way to go as I have used it for many years in my V8... just wasn't sure about a 4 cylinder that is probably turbo charged.

Oh, it is turbocharged. 1.9 liters of FURY! haha They're good engines. Radiator hoses...not so much.

0w40 is better for the heat, but 5w30 will be fine in that engine too. I previously only used Mobil1 10w30 in my 850 (and changed it every 10,000 miles...bad idea) year round and it was perfectly OK. I just stretched that OCI too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back