MAF sensor cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got finished removing and cleaning my MAF screen, wires, and wire guides?, and was just curious on how often anyone is doing this?

I used a can of CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner and the directions said to blast it every time you clean/change yer air filter.

Also, one can might last me years at the rate I used it, how liberal should one be with a cleaning?

I've done mine twice in about 7 years. Both times were probably unnecessary, as the parts looked spotless. As long as you don't damage the wires, I don't think there's such a thing as cleaning it too often.

If you have a K&N filter, you should do it twice a year otherwise much less

the QD electronics parts cleaner is safest, the MAF cleaner is prob the same.

I do run a K&N CAI, but didn't notice any oil up the tubbing.

UPDATE: I had to run to out to get some food so I got a little test run in. What I didn't mention earlier was that I get a pretty good hesitation from 1-2grand rpm's lately and the MAF cleaning was suggested on another site. WOW, I swear its gone!!!
I know this was a pretty short test run (maybe 10mi.), is that possible, it didnt look all that dirty to me.

I also have new plugs, wires, cap and rotor that are hopefully going in next week sometime.

Since we can't tell anything by looking at the part, a visual inspection of the MAF wires is useless, unless there is a huge amount of debris on it.
Only use dedicated MAF cleaner - no residue.

Electrical cleaner says it leaves no residue, but also says it has a protective film!
Brake cleaners also can leave a residue.
Once or twice a year with 2-3 blasts of the product should be enough. Really keep an eye on it with a K+N or other oiled filter.

I want to do mine but I have a problem. On my 2005 cadillac cts, its kinda bolted on the air passage next to the air filter. Its the first time I saw those kinda screws. Its not hex, its not scare or anything. It looks like a curved flower. Can I take apart the air tubing and just spray the sensor from there?

Also, chould I spray it directly with the electronic parts cleaner?

Bringing an old tread but I wanna give you my experience!

I did it the first time today on my car.. long story short:

My gf's toyota echo is getting the check engine light for about 2 months now and I'm getting the engine is running too lean or about. After checking on the net, I found out that t could only be related to the maf sensor. Before cleaning the maf on the echo and messing it, I said to myself, I'm gonna try it first on my car so if I cant do it, I'll pay the dealer to do my gf's car.

I cleaned mine very easily and turns out it was dirty a lot + I did clean the throttle body. I used the crc maf sensor cleaner for the maf sensor and the intake cleaner for the throttle body.

WOW, what an easy job to do + the throttle response a little bit better + no more rough idle when the car is cold.

Also, I had a problem when the car was in overdrive and I was letting off the gas pedal between 40 and 55 mph, the rpm would surge up and down between those mentioned speed. Guess what, no more surging! Also, the transmission would normally hesitate between the 4th gear and the 5th one when half throttle was applied but not anymore!!!!

I'm so happy guys, you just can't imagine!

Also, when taking apart the maf sensor, I found out that my air box (the black box with the engine air filter in it) was not sealed properly. There was a little space left between the air filter gasket and the box itself. I fixed it!

Thanks a lot again!!!

The happiest man ever: - Mark.!

The bosch MAF in my LR discovery does not react well to being cleaned. Cleaning them pretty much kills them. Not sure how many MAFs are like this one, sounds like not many. The filaments are just very fine and the cleaner kills it.

Used Gunk brand mass air flow # MAS7 on the company owned ford ranger, and it did the trick. It is pretty much like an electronics cleaner, but our chemicals are provided by GUNK so thats why i used it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back