I have joined your kind, bicycle riders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a decade-long hiatus from bicycle riding, I picked up a 12-speed road bike at a garage sale for $10. It's a 90s model Spalding Blade that spent the last 10 or 15 years in a garage doing nothing. It came with new (well, old, but unused) Araya Rims. It's got a chromoly frame that's in great shape for it's age.

After spending about $100 on new tires and tubes, a new seat, and a fresh chain at the local bike shop, I headed home to disassemble, clean and re-pack the bearings in the crank and wheels. I used some M1 NLGI 5 grease I had laying around. Though thick, it didn't seem to slow things down compared to the dirt and grit that was in it's place before. Everything else got oiled up with a mixture of M1 0W-40, ATF, and a dash of MMO from my oil can. The gears shifted poorly, but wavinwayne's post some time ago gave a pretty good description of how to do a drive train adjustment and now they do very well. I've ordered a new set of brakes to replace these as the springs are played out and the pads needed to go. With that purchase (~$25), they're going to install all new cabling for free so I figured it was worth it.

I did something similar for the wife and we've been riding around the neighborhood in the evening. I'm not trying to be Lance Armstrong or anything, but it's fun to go for a cruise now and again and it's always nice to have another piece of equipment to work on and maintain.

Anyway, if I ask some stupid noob type questions please forgive me. I'll always search first.

I you use Amsoil Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease NLGI #2, the grease offers excellent water washout resistance, and I have ran this in all my moutain and road bikes. it tends to stand better in extreme conditions mud, water, etc and from washing the bikes. Mind you I am a aivid cyclist and repack bearing depending on contions and milage. As for chain lube, I run a teflon base spray lube, reason oil collects dust dirt, etc. As a dry lube will you wont have to worry as much, but you will have to lube the chain more offen.

I used the Series 2000 grease because of low rolling resistance.

Have fun. If anything it will give you more compassion for other bikers while driving vehicles. When we become a third world country we will still be able to talk about bike lube here at BTOG.........
13.gif

I should add that I put an old mtn bike together about 5mths ago. I went riding in the forest about a month ago. It was a blast. First time I ever did that.

Last edited:
I plan to ride perhaps a few (2-5) miles a day only during decent weather and only on pavement. I prefer to clean the bikes with a rag, by hand. At what interval would you recommend repacking the bearings considering this usage? I'll be sure to pick up some good spray lube at the next opportunity for the chain and will be looking into a lighter (2-3) grease that has properties to fit the bill for future bearing re-packs.

edit: Thanks for the recommendation, Oilboy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123

I should add that I put an old mtn bike together about 5mths ago. I went riding in the forest about a month ago. It was a blast. First time I ever did that.

First time you ever did what, put together a bike or ride in the forest?

I am not the best one to recommend an interval for repacking the bearings. I would think you could go at least a year since you put low miles and don't ride in the rain.

I would be more concerned with the chain and derailleurs and keeping them fairly clean.

I used to have a mountain bike as a kid. Talk about fun times - riding in the woods can be great. I was kindof thinking the same thing about the year interval. Something to do in the cold winter months when riding isn't an option.

welcome to the 2-wheeled posse! I feel a similar sense of befuddlement every time I work on a vehicle with more than 2 wheels!

I'll post this on the chain-oil thread as well, but here's a suggestion for chain oil: 3 in 1 Oil. Pointy-headed sciency stuff aside, I've been using it for a little over a year now, in some weather that is often horrible--and it's the best lube I've used in terms of wear reduction and how long it lasts on the chain. It also runs much cleaner than I ever expected.

For a mind-numbing explanation of why, give this a read: http://forum.biketechreview.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2211

Welcome to the herd. Keep the rubber side down, and be careful out there. I HIGHLY recommend getting a helmet mirror, if you plan to ride on the road. Hi-Vis clothing and reflective tape/stickers on the bike are very good ideas. Also, good old fashioned red (rear) and white (front) reflectors are a MUST if you will be riding close to dusk. Night-gear.com has lots of great products for cyclists if you plan to ride in low-light or dark conditions.

Also, a little red blinky taillight will make you more visible to overtaking traffic.

I love my Planet Bike Superflash taillight and Blaze headlight. I've seen many a driver whip their head around and stare at me because of the lights blinking madly away. This happens regularly during the afternoon.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Also, a little red blinky taillight will make you more visible to overtaking traffic...

Great suggestion. I'd like to add: As a seasoned cyclist, please take my word on this; if you want to be seen by the maximum number of drivers, even on the brightest of sunny days, get a DiNotte rear blinking light. There is simply no comparison. They are expensive, and worth more than they cost. Check them out. http://www.dinottelighting.com/Products.htm

The website does not begin to show how great these lights are.

You know, I can't remember - the bike should be out of the shop today. I went ahead and had them re-do the brake wires just in case they needed it. The last thing I need is brakes that don't work. I'll post again this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back