PP in a 1995 Ford Diesel P/U?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy of mine went to Walmart and got Rotella T Syn 15w-40 and then took it back and got PP 10w-30 for his P/U.

He asked me about it and I told him to check his manual. He said the manual specs 10w-30 CF oil which is what PP is.

I told him it would work this oil change but to switch to a better diesel oil next time.

How much better is a regular or Syn diesel oil?

What are your thoughts?

PP is a dual-rated oil, so he will be fine. So long as it meets the required spec (in this case API CF), and he's happy with it, I reckon there's no reason to change.
55.gif

An oil that has CH4 or CI4 ratings (whether it's CJ4 or not as well) has a higher detergent and dispersant level than a CF oil, and probably more Zn/P as well. Also, the foaming test was first done for CG4, very appropriate for HEUI Powerstroke engines (high oil pressure actuated unit injectors). CG4 came in in 1994, and his is a '95, so....
No need to waste this fill of 10W30 with winter coming, but in general I'd advise 15W-40 for the summer and 5W40 for winter or year round if he doesn't mind the cost. Get oils that have the C rating first, which means to me diesel use is the design priority; at least CG4, preferably CI4+; CJ4 is OK.

Charlie

That oil is a fuel economy oil with relatively low SAE 30 viscosity and low ZDDP to meet the latest gas engine specs like SM and ILSAC GF-4. It might meet the specs listed in the 15 year old owners manual, but this is the wrong oil for a Ford Powerstroke. Hopefully he is not working it hard with towing or otherwise. That engine needs a REAL diesel oil with enough viscosity and anti-wear additive to protect if it is worked hard.

They don't use it much. Put about 5-7,000 miles on it a year and pull a horse trailer from time to time. I think he plans on changing it out in the spring and horse riding season here is coming to an end so minimal trailer towing.

His truck requires CF-4 not CF. They are two completely different oils.

CF is a passenger car diesel rating, CF-4 is a heavy duty diesel rating for four strokes. As well, there is CF-2 for two stroke diesels like the Detroit Series 71.

Do not use that, a 10W-30 rated CH-4, CI-4, CI-4+ or CJ-4 (these are all current specifications) is suitable. The PP has too low of HT/HS to be adequate in a diesel.

A diesel 10W-30 is formulated to hold an HT/HS of 3.5 or above, and generally the engines are designed around 3.7 or above.

Last edited:
North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with diesel engines where API CF oils are specified (10W-30, 5W-50, 15W-50)

This is from their website. Does that mean it is not a "light" truck?

What does the -4 mean or add?

**Looks like Pennzoil Truck and SUV 15w-40 meets CI-4.

Last edited:
The -4 indicates the rating for 4 stroke diesels. Is his 7.3 the HEUI injection system or does it have the externally driven injection pump? If it has the external pump, IMHO CF would be OK as long as it isn't worked REALLY hard-my 6.2s had requirements of CC and CD, even the '93.

It will be very interesting to hear the out come of this "experiment" Me, I'd be too chicken to try if it were My truck. Heck, Id be afraid to try RT 10w30 CJ-4 in there!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Is his 7.3 the HEUI injection system or does it have the externally driven injection pump?

I will have to find out as he is not into engines and such.

I will also have to have him check his manual again and see if it said CF or CF-4.

Not quite true, there was one year with IDI & turbo, a factory adaptation of the ATS turbo. 92 or 93? Then they went to direct injection with the HEUI system.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Not quite true, there was one year with IDI & turbo, a factory adaptation of the ATS turbo. 92 or 93? Then they went to direct injection with the HEUI system.

Charlie
There were other crazy 7.3 turbos too-Banks made kits for them, & I know the '94s came both ways (there's one for sale here by me that's a 5 speed 2WD dually service body-IDI non-turbo)-I'm just not sure about the '95. If it has the HEUI injection, no externally visible IP, you'll need the toughest diesel oil you can find, at least Delvac 1300, Rotella, or Delo 400-those HEUI pumps are probably the hardest on oil of ANY diesel-shear city!!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: m37charlie

Charlie
I'm just not sure about the '95. If it has the HEUI injection, no externally visible IP, you'll need the toughest diesel oil you can find, at least Delvac 1300, Rotella, or Delo 400-those HEUI pumps are probably the hardest on oil of ANY diesel-shear city!!

I agree completely if it has HEUI. Except he lives in Michigan and winter is coming, so I'd recommend 5W-40 Delvac 1, Rotella T Syn, etc.
I dumped half a gallon of D1 SHC in my Unimog Friday, using a clean old lemonade bottle to decant out of my 5 gallon jugs. It surprised me, it wasn't "watery" at room temp, it looked like any 30 or 40 viscosity oil.

Charlie

If he is ok with 10W-30 SM/CF, then he could save some cash and just run Mobil Clean 5000 next time, although I do not recommend this oil either for a Powerstroke. If he is gonna leave PP 10W-30 in there, he should at least dump in 2-3 bottles of Schaeffers Moly EP 132 additive to boost viscosity and anti-wear while using PP in this Powerstroke engine.

Steve, what is a REAL diesel oil if HDEO is not it? You got me curious there.

The Delvac 1 SHC I use is a diesel only oil, it has no gasoline engine ratings. Penrite on their Australian site says not to use their Sin Diesel 5W-40 in gasoline engines. The D1 has a 1.8% ash level, the Penrite 1.62%. Most or all of the diesel type oils commonly sold in the US for pickups and big trucks have a gasoline rating. The new CJ4s are SM due to the lowered ash level; the CI4+s are rated up to SL. In the truck oil world US type CI4+s (usually 1.2-1.5%) are called "mid-ash". Although in the car oil world 0.8% ash is "mid-SAPS", 0.5% is "low-SAPS".
Obviously railroad and marine diesel lubes are diesel only; interestingly some of them have API "C" ratings.

Charlie

I just talked to him and he remembers it saying CF-4 not just CF.

He is in the U.P on his way home. He is going to change the oil when he gets back to I believe the Rotella T Syn 5w-40 from Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back