Greasing Driveshaft U-joints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When greasing U - joints, Should there be greasing out of the u-joint or not. If you over grease a drive shaft and pop out the seal , is that an indcation of a U-joint replacement. I dont know if this topic has been talked a about or not, but please direct me to the thread that has been started. Sorry to start another thread on this topic.

You can't "pop out the seal" on a U-joint. Excess grease will just squirt out. Other than making a mess, it's harmless to the joint.

I grease mine every six months, i pump the grease gun until i see clean grease. Usually on the first one to two pumps a watery mix of grease will come out so i keep going until the first signs of clean grease appear.

Ok I greased my tundra yesterday and the back three u-joints were easy to grease, thus rear wheel drive and rear axle gets the most use. The front axle by the transfer case was very hard to get any grease in the u-joint. So I thinking that the grease gun wasn't on the zerk, and tried acouple of times and thats when i hear the pop grease out of two of the seals. So thinking screwed up a u-joint. The other u-joint on the front axle was easy to grease and had a litte bit of grease out of the u-joint and was like the rear drive axle. Should attempt to regrease the u-joint that was hard to get grease into the u-joint. What about over greasing should there be a concern?, maybe overheating a bearing or not.

What kind of grease is everyone using. I am trying the Amsoil Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease, NLGI #2. I thinking long term, and the weather in Canada, going from one extreme to another, I dont think it wont hurt running a sythetic grease in the drive shafts.

saskman,

I am using Amsoil's GHD grease on my Tundra 4WD. There is one joint on the Tundra, I think the one in the middle where there are three zerks pretty close together, where an extreme pressure grease with Moly is recommended. Amsoil's GHD grease fits this requirement, so that is what I am using on all 8 zerks.

I wish my 04 Silverado had greaseable U joints, I am wondering if I can get greaseable U joints for it. I would use the AMSOIL HD grease for U joints.

Last edited:
You would have to rebuild the driveshaft (or have it rebuilt) with greaseable u-joints or buy a custom shaft from Tom Woods for example. Not that hard or expensive to DIY. My discovery came with non-greasable u-joints and I have had 2 close calls in the past before I knew better (about maintenance). I ended up buying a Tom Woods driveshaft that is completely greaseable (u-joints, slip shaft, centering ball). Well worth the piece of mind IMO. I hate sealed/non serviceable u-joints, bearings etc.

The non-servicable (no fitting) u-joints are suppose to be of better quality. I can't see replacing them if they are not bad. I have the originals on my blazer with 190,000 miles. I think most aftermarket u-joints are greasable (not hard to get).

I guess it depends on the particular make. If you have a rear wheel drive truck and your u-joints are not "chirping" you are fine. The problem with the discoveries is that they are full time 4WD and the front driveshaft (a double cardan driveshaft) u-joints were low quality and generally fail after 50,000 miles and when they do they knock a hole in the transmission housing which is costly to say the least.

the popping sound you are hearing is the pressure of the grease thats built up in the u-joint realeasing as the new grease pushe[s out the old grease. Nothing to worry about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back