1994 Mercury 60HP oiling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do these engines have a good oil feed system. Or is it better to just disable and run a pre-mix in the gas tank. Also anyone with experience with this engine I would appreciate any feedback on pros and cons on the outboard in general.

I am looking at an older boat that has this 94 Merc 60HP engine. He wants $3750 for the boat, engine and trailer. the boat and trailer are 1985 year models.

Thanks Pat

father in-law had a 1984 60 h.p mariner outboard he had a lot of problems with it, went to 1995 mariner 90 h.p he has never had a problem with the motor the 60 and 90 horse motors are almost identical. I would do a compression check on the motor,take it out for a test run and do some from idle to wide open throttle runs.

The larger Mariner outboards ARE Mercurys.
Grey paint is the main difference.
IIRC, the 60 was a three cylinder and the 90 was a four cylinder.
Similar carbs though.

Boat hull has some depressions on the Port and Stbd about 3-4 ft from the transom. I think it was put on the trailer wrong, as well as maybe not supported properly.

I like the outboard a lot, but the boat not as much. He want's 3750 for the boat, trailer and outboard. It is an Arima Seahunter.

The motor seems in excellent shape. The boat is not bad but I am concerned about the depressions. I sent off an e-mail to Arima for their opinion. Anybody have a wild guess what the outboard would be worth? Nada says a 60HP ELO and 60HP EO is worth $640, does that seem accurate? I would think this Merc would be worth at least $1500 or so.

Yes sitting on a trailer is what I thought, Arima agreed.

The Arima company person said they are not going to affect the running much because this is not a performance hull.

I have twin 1993 175 Merc with variable ratio oiling system and they have always worked great. I wouldn't consider disabling myself.

Dang twin 175s.........I don't know if I can afford gas for one 60HP Mercury........

If it is reliable it would certainly be more convenient than playing mixologist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back