Delvac 1300_2006_CTD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the latest UOA on my Cummins motor, I this is my second change back into dino oil and I think that I can honestly say I do not believe the truck like thed the Amsoil synthetic...any thoughts when comparing last three??

CTD_DELVAC_17SEPT09.jpg

CTDUOAApr090001.jpg

Does seem to do better on dino oil. Syn wont necessarily reduce wear, but extend the drain or hold up better to extreme conditions. The Delvac did very well IMO.

I'll say that it doesn't look like the signature for Amsoil AME that I've seen in the past. Where did the Magnesium come from?? Calcium is lower too...here's a duplicate VOA of AME. Did you use some anti-gel, oil additive or some other weird cetane booster during your AME run? Delvac looked good
cool.gif

AME15W40VOA.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really good....I did notice that wear went down in every sample so I'm wondering if it could it be in the break-in process still ? If this is the case the Amsoil may have had a similar showing if done at the same interval as the Delvac...But, with the money you saved and halving the amount of wear numbers from the last report it looks like the Delvac is a good one.

Delvac 1300 has been posting some stellar UOAs recently for their CJ-4 formulation in Dmaxs, and now it's nice to see one in a CTD.

I do agree that the UOA on the Amsoil does not look right, these were out of the same box that I got from company....I will still try the Amsoil again but I want to wait until I get a few more miles to make sure my numbers look consistent.

BTW no additives, I ran a oil change of regular old Walmart dino before I switched to make sure there was no SLOB or anything left before the switch. I was however running fuel additives ( a hienze 57 mix until I found what I liked...maybe this had some effect?)

Last edited:
Heck depending on your annual mileage you might want to stick with the Delvac if you can score it cheap LOL! So what did you settle on for fuel adds in the end? A lot of guys I know are running hellatious amounts of 2 stroke and seeing stout mileage gains. They then run the Amsoil diesel concentrate every other tank to keep things clean.

I really want to run Amsoil to increase my orders with other maintenance...but if next time I still do not get the life out of it I will stick with Delvac (Wally World most times $10/gal)

As for the additives I have run:
1. Howes - yuck
2. MMO - carry over from farm days, thought my truck liked it.
3. PS - never an issue and readily available - thought my truck liked it.
4. Amsoil - tried two types and can't say either way if I saw anything different vs PS/MMO
5. Super Tech - used the 1 oz / gallon ratio and my truck did not like it..poor mileage (may re-visit in lower levels to see if there is a sweet spot).
6. Used motor oil - What a "F-in" mess, couldn't pay me to deal with that again.
7. Lucas - No real opinion, never noticed anything different vs PS / MMO.
8. Soya oil - NOw I can say that a 1 gallon add to a tank full of #2 diesel ran the most smooth and got the almost best mileage..but found out sinceitwasindustrial grade (for ink) the ph was too high and may cause issues).
9. Opti Lube - broke down and ordered it, have to say it stinks but so far in three tanks I have been getting 21+ on over head with 25.6 today on empty truck at 70 mph back from hunting camp (262 miles on 1st quarter tank)

As for the postassium...dunnoi it just disappeared! I want to re-check with this oil change and see if it is still down

Last edited:
Hi,
Shup1 - Using supplementary additives in modern formulation lubricants is simply a waste of money. Every engine maker tells you not to - and with very well based reasons

IME using such things does not enable even a basic analysis of a "simple" UOA to be done with confidence

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Shup1 - Using supplementary additives in modern formulation lubricants is simply a waste of money. Every engine maker tells you not to - and with very well based reasons

IME using such things does not enable even a basic analysis of a "simple" UOA to be done with confidence

You may be correct on additives, but with the ULSD I am not willing to chance a lubrication issue....Maybe after 5 or so years without failures on pumps ect I may change my mind.

None of my additives made any differance, I even ran first two oil changes with dealer oil and filters with high potassium (I truley believe that the issue there was the wreck I had at 500 miles and it just took a long time to work itself out)

Originally Posted By: pickled
Heck depending on your annual mileage you might want to stick with the Delvac if you can score it cheap LOL! So what did you settle on for fuel adds in the end? A lot of guys I know are running hellatious amounts of 2 stroke and seeing stout mileage gains. They then run the Amsoil diesel concentrate every other tank to keep things clean.
Not to hijack-but how much 2-stroke per tankful are they running? I use it in my 6.2 to help the old Stanadyne injection pump hold up, used to use it in my '02 CTD w/the VP44, what kind of MPG increase are they seeing? (I'd heard the CR motors didn't need it)

Guys here are running approximately 2 oz/gallon of various TCW3's. The yellow bottle sourced from Wally World is appearing to win favor over other flavors of 2 cycle. So far I am consistently hearing of 4-9% overall mileage improvement in a wide range of personal vehicles. The folks talking about mileage gains >5% were suspect to me, but there's almost too much flap about it for there not to be something going on even if it is at the 5% level. The vehicles vary from 2000-2005 Dodge's with Cummins 5.9L engines, a variety of Ford 6.0, 6.4 guys and even a couple of late model Duramax folks are in the mix. I haven't had time to design and execute a proper study, but the hoopla is pretty intense around here without someone pushing a product.

Originally Posted By: pickled
I haven't had time to design and execute a proper study, but the hoopla is pretty intense around here without someone pushing a product.

I ran 1 oz to gallon and my truck hated it! mileage dropped like a stone! However I believe there is a sweet spot and after my Opti Lube run I may just run a few tanks at varing levels (At $9 gallon it sure would be nice to get a good result).

I think the u.s. has the 2nd worst lubricity of diesel fuel in the world? i forget which country ranked lowest some 3rd world country it's sad.

According to what i've seen 2 cycle oil or least 2% bio diesel is best way to go. I think the recommended lubricity is 400 something as recommended by most OEMS and most fuel today is about 600?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back