Alternative to Yamalube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on. It's good to be back!

So here's my question, my dad just bought a 15hp Yamaha 4 stroke outboard for his boat and the oil it recomends is either the Yamalube 4-M FC-W oil or a 4-stroke motor oil with this combination of API oil classifications: SE, SF, SG, SH, SJ and SL. After looking at many oils in Walmart and Advanced auto parts I was unable to find an oil with all these classifications. I wasn't sure wether or not an SM oil meets all of these and surpasses them as well due to my lack of oily knowledge...the Yamalube is pretty hard to find so I was wondering if there was a good alternative.

Thanks for any help!

UNAUTHORIZED LINK DELETED.

Shipped right to your door. Couldn't be easier.

ADMIN NOTE: Please re-read the rules. Our sponsors are the ones who fund this site and keep it on-line. It is NOT fair to them, and we WILL NOT PERMIT others to take advantage of the paying sponsors by competing with them here for free. Don't break the rules again...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say any 15w40 diesel oil would serve you fine, but Iam no expert in Marine equipment. Check with any motorcycle dealers such as Polaris,Kawasaki, Seado, Artic cat etc.. any in your area. They all carry house brands that would serve you well. Yamalube is a very good two stroke lubricant in the 2R, I always considered their 4 stroke oils to be on the less worthy side. That said in the Yamaha 4 strokes I had that called for 20w40 Yamalube, I used 20w50 and 15w40 without any problems. You will find that that Yamaha 15 HP is not real picky and will be fine on just about any oil. SM would exceed all the SG,SF,SJ and SL, thats why you dont see it on the jugs, its a obsolete listing.

Originally Posted By: cosynthetics
LINK DELETED

Shipped right to your door. Couldn't be easier.

Thanks. But, please cosynthetics, Jared Yost is not a site sponsor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm assuming that it would also exceed the SE and SF ratings then..? And is there a reason we would want to choose a diesel oil over a regular automotive oil? Also, should we go with a sythetic or sythetic blend?

Thanks again for all the help!

If the oil is SL rated it supercedes all previous ratings. SL or SM would work just fine in the correct weight Yamaha specifies because they exceed all the previous API ratings.

Last edited:
Okay!

I got me one of them Yamaha 4str. engines in the 115hp size.

Currently I am using Supertech Full Synthetic 10w-30. In the past I have used Mobil 1, Havoline conventional, Pennsoil conventional, Exxon Superflow, all in 10w-30.

No apreciable difference in performance using one oil over the other.

Haven't tried Amsoil, it's a little steep for my budget.

I said Diesel becuase alot of diesel oils have the SL rating. That and they are a very robust oil, they contain alot of detergents and are well suited for heat and carbon and shearing. Pretty much a Tough oil, but not a energy conserving oil that would suit many car makers requirements. They would suit your requirments, Yamaha probably calls for a 20w40 or a 10w40, which diesel comes in a 15w40 which would work and is readily avaiable anywhere and everywhere.

Amsoil would be my pick as they make the marine synthetic 4 stroke which works great in my 9.9 Yamaha. I plan to use the HP Injector oil in my 200HP Yamaha. I have heard great things about this oil. Get in touch with Pablo.

When it comes to 4-strokes I'v had great results with Amsoil. Everything from my race car to little Honda CRF50. Nice and slippery!

Thanks for the replies on this post everyone..it's been quite a while since I've been on and for some reason I don't receive emails updates for my subscribed topics.

I'm guessing we're just going to go with an inexpensive SM rated oil..

I keep wanting to go back to Super Tech full synthetic, what do you guys think of it? I'm not even sure of the rating, I guess I've got some googling to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back