Ford motorcraft oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who makes Ford motorcraft motor oil??? And would there be ANY problems switching to synthetic on a vehicle that has 130K miles on her? Would it be beneficial to just stay w/ the Motorcraft or get a high mileage oil or get a synthetic?? Thanks--VenzaTRD

My understanding is that Conoco-Phillips produces Ford Motorcraft oils. It's good oil for the $$.

Is your current vehicle an "oil leaker" (or oil user)? If not, there should not be any problem switching to a full synthetic. I'd go to a high mileage oil only if you have some oil usage issues between oil changes.

Otherwise, if the Motorcraft oil has worked well for the past 130,000 miles, why change?

I just swicthed to a full synthetic in a Jeep with 130K on it. It has not had any oil use issues, so I was comfortable making the switch.

Most people around here have no problem switching to a full synthetic in an "experienced" motor so long as there are no extenuating circumstances. (Like usage and leaks.) But most BITOGers would also tell you that when it comes to value in a synthetic blend, Motorcraft is very hard to beat.

You probably can't make a bad decision.

Stay w/ MC or one of its ConocoPhillips siblings: Concoco,Phillips 66, Union 76, Kendall. All are essentially the same oil in different bottle.

IMHO, the 'blends' are the best value....

Cheers!!!
coffee2.gif

Thanks guys. I'm going to look at a truck today and hopefully everything works out and she'll come home with me! I use M1 Advance Fuel Economy in the Venza and have generally used Mobil 1. I love the 5k OCIs. I think I'll stay with the MC/ Like ya'll said, if it has work well this far, why change?? What kind of OCI can I expect with MC 5w-20???---VenzaTRD

I have used MC 5W-20 in a work minivan (Chrysler) and always stuck with a 5K OCI. But that vehicle gets started every few days and is always driven a good distance before being parked. If your driving patterns allow the oil to get good and hot, I think few would argue with taking it to 5K. (There are a number of UOAs posted here from a few years back that show just how solid the MC belnd is. It was very popular when I first found BITOG 2.5 years ago.)

MC is one of the best.
A full synthetic would have the benefit of longer oil change intervals. In NC, not much more benefit than that.

Originally Posted By: VenzaTRD
What kind of OCI can I expect with MC 5w-20???
Obviously there are too many variables to give an absolute answer, but 5,000 miles should be easy, perhaps up to 7,500 if your motor is in good health and isn't a known oil abuser.

Are we talking about the Motorcraft Full Synthetic or Synthetic Blend here? I would think you could do a substantially longer OCI on the full synthetic. The Motorcraft Full Synthetic has the exact same product data figures as Kendall full synthetic, by the way. It's probably the same thing in different packaging.

Wa-hooooooooooo. Guys I just bought myself a dirty screw!!!..Uh...wait..that didn't sound...oh nevermind! hahaha
I just got a 2003 F150 Supercrew FX4 5.4L Lariat!! 136,500 on the clock. Runs pretty well to me, although I'm normally a GMC guy. But this has been my dream truck and now I finally have one!

As far as the oil goes, its MC synthetic blend. With that said, can I go 5K OCI without any problems?? The dipstick oil look almost brand new but the owner was gonna do an oil change tomorrow because it had been sitting for awhile. He had already bought the oil and filter and gave it to me.....along with a Hypertech programmer, Satellite radio...and I'll get the Haynes manual from him on Monday. I'm on cloud 9!!----VenzaTRD

Congrats on the new truck!
19.gif

You're definitely good to go for 5K with the Synthetic Blend, unless you are doing very severe service. Just one tip from a guy that's owned various Fords for many years...stick with Motorcraft oil filters. Other filters often cause startup noise, and their anti-drainback valves are in locations other than what Ford designed. It's not that other brands will hurt, but they might not work as well. Just my two cents. Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: erogers
Congrats on the new truck!
19.gif

You're definitely good to go for 5K with the Synthetic Blend, unless you are doing very severe service. Just one tip from a guy that's owned various Fords for many years...stick with Motorcraft oil filters. Other filters often cause startup noise, and their anti-drainback valves are in locations other than what Ford designed. It's not that other brands will hurt, but they might not work as well. Just my two cents. Enjoy!

+1

Using any quality 5w20 or 5w30 (and Motorcraft Blends are a high quality product), you should be just fine running 5000 mile intervals, unless you are really flogging the truck!

Motorcraft filters are an excellent choice, though I've had no problems with Wix filters and its clones (Napa, Carquest).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back