2000 BMW 323i tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be headed out West to visit my son who is back from deployment. He informed me is 2000 323i needs tires. Any suggestions for a good reasonably priced tire for his car? A lot of choices online, but would rather hear it from you guys!

Thanks!

Frank D

I had Altimax HP's on my VW Golf. I loved them but didn't get to use them very long due to a crash (not related to the tires).

I can't tell you what to use on your 323 but I can tell you that I put BF Goodrich G-Force Sport tires on my 323 and I don't recommend them at all. They have lasted only 30,000 miles, are noisy as can be, and the fuel economy took a huge hit. However, they stick like glue if that's your thing.

Go for Nexen. Handling, ride, noise, wet traction, and durability are all excellent. Plus they are very cheap. For 18 inch 45's they were about $70 vs. about $160 for Dunlop AT (which was way worse in all the above categories on my car) and around $200 for Michelin. ALso had Nexen on my Boxster S and they were excellent and about 1/4 the cost.

Two options were available on those cars:

195/65-15 91H for the 15" wheels and
205/55-16 91H for the 16" wheels.

Wheel size was dependent on option packages available at the time.

My car has the 205/55-16 tires.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
car has the 205/55-16 tires.

I bet for that size the Nexen's will be really cheap. They are excellent tires.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Originally Posted By: FowVay
car has the 205/55-16 tires.

I bet for that size the Nexen's will be really cheap. They are excellent tires.

My son is supposed to be emailing me the tire size. I see you're from the Pacific NW. My son is at NAS Whidbey Island I will be going with him hopefully Saturday for tires, I would prefer to avoid Les Schwab. Any suggestions in that area?

Thanks!

demarpaint,

Where are you purchasing the tires? State? If you decide to buy General . . . Sears has good prices.

Regards,
~Button

Got the tire size, it appears he has aftermarket wheels on this car.

235/40/ZR17

Thanks

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
There are not many choice for the size 235/40-17, if he can up size to 245/40-17 then he can have many more choices.

Not sure if we can up the size or not. Those wheels really limit his choices! Makes things a little more interesting!

Thanks for all the replies!

Frank D

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Got the tire size, it appears he has aftermarket wheels on this car.

235/40/ZR17

And incorrect tire size at that. These cars with factory sport pkg were equipped with 225/45/17 tires. How wide are those aftermarket rims? If they're no wider than 8", then you can easily run 225/45/17 tires on them. Besides, tire selection in this size is pretty good.

I ended up taking my son's car to a local tire shop on Whidbey Island. A pleasure doing business outside of NY. They hooked me up with a Kelly Tire 235/40/17. We were looking for something inexpensive and they fit the bill.

What I liked about this place was they didn't try the typical [censored] that NY Tire centers are known for. Instead of trying to sell brakes he didn't need they told me the brakes had 90% life remaining. When I asked about an alignment they said the tires wore well, and it wasn't something that in their opinion was really needed. The front end was tight and the car handles and steers well according to them.

Had I been in NY they'd try selling me brakes, calipers, rotors and front end work I didn't need. In our case they suggested having a look at how they wear when its time for the first rotation.

If I wasn't over 3000 miles away from the place I'd buy my tires from them!

Which Kelly model did you buy for your son BMW 323i ? I was thinking about Kelly Fierce for my Honda S2000, but it is discontinued and replaced with Kelly Fierce Instinct ZR, I searched but could not find any picture of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back