Help with mothers pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all I got a problem with my mothers PC. Its a custom built one I made about 4 or 5 years ago. All my mother does with her PC is play online Java games on www.pogo.com and check her email and occasional web surfing. Lately she has been having problems with the PC with it lagging bad and causing her to lose connection to the game website. She does not lose internet but something interupts her game to the point where it freezes since it requires constant internet. I did a fresh reformat yesterday after checking every other possible problem. I have tried installing a new network card, replaced her ethernet cable, upgrader her ram to 2 gigs, tested the router, replaced the cable modem, tried internet explorer 6,7,8, and firefox. The odd thing is the lag only happens on her computer.

Her hardware is as follows. Asus P5GPL-X Motherboard, Nvidia 6600 with latest drivers, onboard soundmax soundcard, 2 gigs of ram, intel pentium 4 socket 775 2.8ghz processor, 40 gig sata maxtor hard drive. Running on windows XP professional SP3. Also windows firewall disabled, I even tried disabling the router firewall and it did not work, either. The weird thing is the problem is only on her computer, my father PC that used to be mine doesnt have the problem shes experiencing on it. So, that leads me to beleive it is a hardware problem. The computer is not overheating, it is running at good temps and virus is out of the questions since I reformated it. It also has the latest bios I tried flashing it too and it didnt help one bit. This problem is beginning to irritate the [censored] out of me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh I also removed the antivirus to check to see if it was interfiering . It didnt work problem persisted.

Last edited:
hardware is decent. most of the time its spyware and malware that is slowing it down. there's numerous utilities to search and destroy

Did you check here meory for virus's you know they can get in their as well not just hard drive. On top of that a common re-format isnot good enough to get all virus's some are good at protecting themselfs. You should re-write the drive 2-3 times with 0 and 1's old school style and check her memory for viruss's!

Wow, I did not know virus coult get into the memory lol. I use lavasoft adaware, but how do I check the memory for spyware and the like?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Last edited:
Malware bytes anti-malware is a free and excellent program. get it here free

Superantispyware is another. get it here

Between those 2 and avast! I've had excellent success with trouble free computing. I had a slow down (that I posted here) and found that to be some issues with java and Firefox.

Take care and good luck! Bill

CCleaner for initial cleanup. Then PREVX, Malwarebytes, SAS,
a-squared for malware cleanup. Old HP Compaq d530 SFF XP2 here no os deinstall or reinstall since purchase and I test many sw programs. A good Reg cleaner helps too but the best AMUST Registry Cleaner 4.0 no longer supported. Good luck...s

flash is kept up to date. I found the problem though. I took my quality soundcard out of my old computer and put it in and the problem has stopped.

Thanks for all the help though!

BAH! The problem came back.
I have used every program you guys mentioned ontop of Norton and Adaware, I want to take the [censored] PC to the range and test my 1911 on it.

Yup, I was gonna tell you that was not the problem, but figured I would wait and let you find that out. Use System Restore if you can.

After 4-5 years of use it's probably about time to replace the computer. I saw an eMachines mini-tower with an Atom 230 CPU and 1 GB of DDR2 for $219 at Fry's a few weeks ago. It came loaded with XP Home, which will be transparent for someone used to using XP Pro. Swap out the 1GB stick for 2GB for ~$25 and you have the perfect box for email, web surfing and playing Java games.

Click the link below and run the Tweak Test. It is a great tool for diagnosing connectivity issues, is free and only takes about 1-2 minutes to complete. If problems are identified you will be prompted to download Dr. TCP, which is a small utility that lets you adjust hidden connection settings in Windows XP. After running the Tweak Test, download Dr. TCP if the results indicate that you need to adjust these hidden settings. Make and save the necessary changes, reboot and see if the problem goes away. FYI - Tweak Test is not needed for Vista and Windows 7, but may be used to help identify other issues unrelated to the O/S.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/tools

Originally Posted By: Lyondellic
Click the link below and run the Tweak Test. It is a great tool for diagnosing connectivity issues, is free and only takes about 1-2 minutes to complete. If problems are identified you will be prompted to download Dr. TCP, which is a small utility that lets you adjust hidden connection settings in Windows XP. After running the Tweak Test, download Dr. TCP if the results indicate that you need to adjust these hidden settings. Make and save the necessary changes, reboot and see if the problem goes away. FYI - Tweak Test is not needed for Vista and Windows 7, but may be used to help identify other issues unrelated to the O/S.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/tools

Just saw this, thank you will try.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back