Moving to an I-Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my work has decided that instead of giving us all writers cramp 3 weeks out of every quarter writing audits and action plans for our restaurants that they will now be done on an I-Phone application that they have written.

They are testing this in the US right now with our District Managers there and if all goes well it will come to Canada.

So I ask you... Give me the Cool/Good/Bad/Ugly on the I-Phone...

So I can be "ready" for when it comes...

I love the iphone. Wife has a Blackberry. I prefer the iphone. Everything is very easy to use and the functionality is excellent. It's a great toy.
grin2.gif

I love mine. It is fantastic. I guess the GPS is slow to find a signal and it can't play .mp3's as ringtones and I can't currently multi-media text message (though Tmobile users can).

I have a Blackberry now (provided by work) and they will be taking us off this and moving us to the I-Phone. Apparently it can be used with Microsoft Exchange E-mail server. I didn't know that. Thought only Blackberry could be...
54.gif

My opinion is based on Apple itself. Much like the Mac, you basically "pay" for everything. If your job is paying for the phone and its usage charges then its a good deal. If you have to pay for it then its iffy. AT&T charges some premiums for service compared to other carriers, battery life isn't very good when you use it for anything other than a phone and music.

Don't get me wrong it is a very nice device but grew tired of it very quickly especially if you don't jailbreak it and have to pay for it yourself. The G1 was a much better phone, the MyTouch even better. On-screen keyboard can be annoying if your not used to it, thats a major negative for me on the I-phone and My-touch. I no longer have either of them and have an Env-Touch just for its physical keyboard.

Last edited:
I suggested to work that they get us I-POD Touches and just let us download applications that way... We could do our Audits and upload them from our home WiFi when we get in for the day but that isn't good enough apparently...

I think it might be a "Big Brother" thing as well...

Going to turn off the I-Phone when not auditing and only turn on when I need to.

Have a separate phone for calls as the minutes were cheaper with a separate carrier than the one the BB is on. (They cover both bills)

I got an iPod Touch last year at Christmas, and there literally hasn't been a day go by when I haven't used it... a LOT. It's a very compelling device! If someone were going to pay so that I could have an iPhone, I'd be all over that.

iPhone is great, like Wayne said, you won't be able to put it down.

Put Facebook, Twitter & stuff on there, you'll never need to A) use a regular computer to socially network with friends, and B) never need to watch the nightly news.

Our local TV station (channel 4) has an iPhone app and uses Twitter for news updates. Very cool. Why waste 30 minutes watching local news when you can read it in just a couple minutes?

It will change the way you work and gather info.

Originally Posted By: Anies
My opinion is based on Apple itself. Much like the Mac, you basically "pay" for everything.

You don't have to pay for any of the thousands of free podcasts. you don't have to pay for any of your music, movies, or audiobooks you currently have and can put on the iphone. You don't have to pay for any of the thousands of free applications.

Having said that you have to be smart and not get sucked into the marketing machine such as using an app to "hear" a song being played somewhere and then hit "download" to immediately download it to your phone. If you are smart it is an unbelievable tool. if you are a sucker, of course you can get taken. Fortunately, StevieC is smart!

The good... the good is this -> You can just walk in from somewhere, nothing is on, pick up the iPod Touch and have your email in about 3 seconds. Compare that to waiting for your computer to boot up... it can be a real time saver. If you're doing 3G on the iPhone, then it's always available.

tip- jailbreak and download sbsettings. It lets you easily toggle wifi and 3g on and off. using 3g internet sucks the battery like crazy. Wifi will suck the battery less, 2g the least. Being able to switch between them easily lets you get more hours per charge. Also don't leave your phone on the charger all the time. My original iphone still has fantastic battery life after 2 years largely because I don't leave it on the charger all the time.

try "local picks" app, movies, pandora or aolradio for free worldwide music. Dynolicios or similar apps act as a g-tech and give you 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, skidpad, etc. There may be a free one out now that does that.

Most of the applications that are worth a grain of salt you pay for. Much like the free apps on the G1 most aren't worth more than a few seconds of your time.

Podcasts will always be free, if you pay for a podcast then there are issues.

I am talking about the bulk of good content, the price of AT&T service which runs higher than most. You "pay" for the lifestyle device, and thats what most Apple products are.

The browsing on the phone is nice, and speed is pretty decent, better with Wifi as with any phone. Again the love it or hate it comes down to the keyboard. If you can adjust to the onscreen keyboard then you might like it. If you can't then it will be a thorn in your side.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anies
Most of the applications that are worth a grain of salt you pay for.

Totally disagree. Most of the best apps are free.

I love Macs and always thought I'd get an iPhone but wasn't impressed until my wife got one. Its a great device. As an actual phone, it's on par with everything else. But with all the apps, it's so much better. Surfing the net on it is great. I HATE using WAP browsers.

I would like one of these for personal use. For work use, I need a physical keyboard to use with my thumbs. I type fairly long emails on the BB and the touchscreen just doesn't give the tactile feedback that physical keys do. I can do it blind with the keys.

I want an iphone. I have the LG Dare. Total garbage. Verizon is said to be in serious talks with Jobs of Apple and they will be coming out with what they were calling the iphone lite. Hope it happens. I can finally own a "real" touch screen that does what it promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back