Mobil Delvac 15w40 OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
lars11 - Delvac MX 15W-40 has been available here for many years. It seemed to be targeted at the Euro engine families rather than the NA engines that have most market share here in OZ

Like most of the Delvac non synthetic 15W-40 HDEOs they are great performers. IMO they are "sleepers" that live in the Commercial lubricant's arena very well indeed - they are the backbone of many Transport and Mining Fleets

A UOA programme is the best way to determine the OCI with these lubricants. User may be very suprised!

Last edited:
If it's a Group III "just like" Rotella-T 5W-40, why don't they make it a 5W-40? Also, the VI of Rotella-T is higher. I love Delvac as a conventional, but I wouldn't go calling it a synthetic (by today's standards) just yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qRXG2mf9is

Quite the difference.

As far as the OCI, the safest way to tell is by UOA. One vehicle might go 10k miles with it, one might only go 7k miles. Depends on engine, application, sump size, driving conditions/style, yada yada.

The first half of that post was meant for another thread. I need to remember... drink a cup of coffee... THEN try and post.

Ok. but comparing cold flow between a 15w and a 5w oil is a given match. Even if both were synthetics this would be the result... Well, I will use it in a marine v8, so for me the cold crank is not an issue.

Delvac MX can be had quite cheap here in Australia as its rebottled for Repco as Repco Diesel CI4/SL. I am currently using this, and cannot tell a difference from Shell Helix Ultra 5w40.

Originally Posted By: lars11
Ok. but comparing cold flow between a 15w and a 5w oil is a given match. Even if both were synthetics this would be the result... Well, I will use it in a marine v8, so for me the cold crank is not an issue.

I wasn't comparing it in here. I said that was meant for another thread, where someone was saying that Delvac was a synthetic since they 'thought' it was a Group III. I was saying if it was such a synthetic, why wasn't it 5W instead of 15W.

As far as this thread, it's about OCI, and HDEO's are long lasting oils, but a UOA will tell the most when you look at the TBN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back