Castrol GTX 20-50 wt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saw

Does anyone have a Blackstone lab result on running this oil in Harleys Evolution engine?

Bike has nearly 80,000. Seems to run just fine on oil change intervals of 2,500.

Some have complained about the lower zinc content.

Also around here (Oregon) Best bang for the buck seems to be the Chevron Supreme 2-50 at Costco. I was told Havoline 20-50 tests out well in Harleys. Chevron & Havoline are the same product, unsure if that's verifiable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Search the archives here in the motorcycle UOAs and I have a few posted using Havoline 20W50 and also Chevron Supreme 20W50. The Chevron is very similar, but not exactly the same thing. Less moly, IIRC.

The Castrol will work fine, but is over-priced for what you're getting, in my opinion.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=721840#Post721840

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1239162#Post1239162

and my most recent, using the Havoline 20W50 Deposit Shield oil:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...424#Post1578424

You can often find some really good deals in convenience stores which have been unable to sell their 20W50, and they close it out cheap. I've seen some good 20W50's for 2 bucks a quart.

You're doing the right thing, changing at 2500 mile intervals. Any decent 20W50 should serve you well.

I have a good Valvoline VR1 UOA here also, if you want to search for it...

My 1994 Low Rider (Evo, of course), is coming up on 60K soon. These engines, much to the chagrin of the moke-tarders who dis Harleys, will outlast practically any motorcycle engine out there. 150K is not uncommon (even without any work at all), and there are a couple with 400K plus miles which have been reported on in American Iron.

Dan

Dan (fuel tanker man):

Thanks for the reply.
I'm with ya on the fact that the evo was one of Harley's more trouble free engines.

I'm coming up on 80,000 miles and if it ain't broke not going to open the engine up if it's running fine.

I did pull the push rod cover and checked on the lifters.
They have been replaced with the stronger type Harley 86B lifer and someone had put in the adjustable push rods, not sure if they are easy install or just plain adjustables, more likely the e-z adjust.

There is a lot of hype about motorcycle specific oils, Harley' own oil brand, and sythetics.

I just want a reasonably priced SAE 20-50 and it looks like the Chevron Supreme or Havoline Deposit Shield will be more than adequate.

My front rocker has a slight leak. I just wipe off the cylinder head with a rag, q-tip, old toothbrush and engine cleaner like Gunk in the spray can.

Cheers to you and keep taking good care of the 1994 Low Rider,

Thanks for the reassurance that I'm protecting my investment without wasteful spending on overpriced oils. And yes, the GTX is often $3.99 per quart.

Dave

" These engines, much to the chagrin of the moke-tarders who dis Harleys, will outlast practically any motorcycle engine out there."

Moke tarder? Would that be secret Willie G. talk which roughly translates into "non-koolaid drinker"? Or, one who hasn't bought into the scam....errr, dream?

Originally Posted By: saw

My front rocker has a slight leak. I just wipe off the cylinder head with a rag, q-tip, old toothbrush and engine cleaner like Gunk in the spray can.

Dave

You clean your bike with q-tips? Hhmm....yeow !!!

Last edited:
Fuel Tanker, those wear numbers in your UOA's look like a low wearing car engine...Says alot about the Havoline and the Harley engines.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

Moke tarder? Would that be secret Willie G. talk which roughly translates into "non-koolaid drinker"? Or, one who hasn't bought into the scam....errr, dream?

Dude...everyone here knows you are a Harley basher...fine. Now please give it a rest.
31.gif

I have heard/seen UAO of GTX 20w50 and it shears rather badly and very quickly. Just my 2 cents.

p.s. What is a moke tarder lol?

gotta fess up

i was a 1 eyed pom bike lover. i bashed hondas etc till the cows came home in the 1970's

still love my brits, but learned to keep ( most of ) my opinions to myself

Originally Posted By: whitesands
Fuel Tanker, those wear numbers in your UOA's look like a low wearing car engine...Says alot about the Havoline and the Harley engines.

What do UOA's of the primary and transmission look like? I'm just wondering as all of my bikes have a shared motor/transmission oil design and their UOA's are quite a bit worse looking with a lot less mileage than the HD ones posted above...

Definition of moke:

A person (usually with an ethnic background consisting of Hawaiian, Filipino, and/or Japanese. And in some very rare cases Caucasian) who is a local of one of the Hawaiian islands. Is extremely profound and in most cases, fluent in the use of "pidgin" laguage. These people usually have an IQ of 50 but make up for it with thier ability to talk a lot of trash. They engage in a lot of trash talk, and usually have nothing to back it up. They enjoy getting into fights at school and hoping that it will gain them many popularity points. Their "fights" are mostly pushing around and yelling the phrase "wat 'chu faka" out loud many times and are broken up extemely quickly. Many mokes may look tough but are actually very sensitive. If you joke about them, they threaten you, if you look at them they get whizzed off very quickly, and if your a white person, they will call you a "haole" and tell you to get out of Hawaii. Mokes believe that the white man took over and degraded Hawaii when really, the white man helped modernize Hawaii.
They also have low-income familys. Which probably explains why they can't speak proper English. Which makes it very hard to understand them

Moke: What 'chu faka? Like scrap?

person: Do I know you?

Moke: Faka, you teasing me?

person: Who the he?? are you?

Moke: psh, faka you not worth it brah. *walks away*

person: Jeeze, he's such a moke I swear. *shakes head*

Definition of tarder:
Definition: to delay, to take a long time

Nous devons commencer, ne tarde pas ! - We have to begin, don't delay!

Il tarde toujours à faire ses devoirs. - He always puts off doing his homework.

Sa lettre tarde à venir - His letter is taking a long time to get here.

Related: tard (adv) - late; tardif (adj) - late; tardivement (adv) - late
So I guess we can conclude that a moke tarder is a person of Filipino or Hawaiian decent who is perpetually late, or takes a long time to accomplish a task. Probably explains the comment about moke-tarders that dis Harleys. Since Harleys require a cleaning of the oil weeps with a q-tip, (that probably takes a long time in and of itself) and regular maintenance with Willie G hair squeezins, they are even later that their usual tardiness, thus the "dissing". Quite an interesting find, and I'm so glad to have moke-tarder in my personal dictionary. I can't wait to see how it works on my friends and family... "Yo! Wzup moke-tard?"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bonnie john
maybe he's just getting back at all the "japp ccrap" comments made to him from like 30 or 40 years ago ...

I remember back in the 70's once I stopped to help a guy start his broken down Harley on the side of the road. I was on my Yamaha. He was really aggravated trying to kick start his bike for about the 50th time and looked at my bike and said: " What is that Japan's answer to Pearl Harbor?" I just chuckled and got on my bike and left...not wanting to explain to the guy that Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back