2006 Honda Odyssey - 27 mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice surprise. Running premium (91-92 USA AKI) carrying four people, mountains, large load, and non aerodynamic items on roof rack. 2.5 tanks (three different stations and brands), 26-27 mpg. This thing gets maybe 19-20 around town and previous best was about 25 mpg.

The only thing changed was the fuel. The wife had always run 87.

Geez!

My PT Cruiser averages about 24.5 mpg in mixed driving, and that's just an inline-4 moving only myself around!

Makes me sad sometimes, but I've had the car since new and wouldn't trade it for the world (well, maybe a Porsche Cayman!)

I don't think we've exceeded 25mpg with our 2008 Ody on long hywy travel, but we haven't had it out much. Day to day driving consistantly yields 20mpg tank to tank.

Joel

Originally Posted By: drewjp
Geez!

My PT Cruiser averages about 24.5 mpg in mixed driving, and that's just an inline-4 moving only myself around!

Makes me sad sometimes, but I've had the car since new and wouldn't trade it for the world (well, maybe a Porsche Cayman!)

The way you drive has way more to do with it. My 96 Crown Vic has a 4.6 V8 and weighs about 2 tons. I still get at least 22mpg (25 typical) in the city, and 25-30 on the highway depending on speed and how many hills there are.

That's really good. My high in the Highlander with the four banger is 28.

This isn't the first time or place I've heard of the J series getting better performance on premium. I'm not sure if it has the worlds most sensitive knock sensors or what.

Hmm, I shouldn't feel too bad now. The wife's Z4 gets 26-28 mpg in the city. I have gotten up to 31 mpg on the highway cruising at 80 mph with the occasional 100-110 mph to pass cars and stuff.

Burns premium which is about 25 cents per gallon higher than regular.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Nice surprise. Running premium (91-92 USA AKI) carrying four people, mountains, large load, and non aerodynamic items on roof rack. 2.5 tanks (three different stations and brands), 26-27 mpg. This thing gets maybe 19-20 around town and previous best was about 25 mpg.

The only thing changed was the fuel. The wife had always run 87.

Does this engine have VCM?

The J32 at least in the TL has 11.0:1 compression. It NEEDS premium and then some. I've seen some pretty significant improvements in mpg going higher than 91 octane. In fact, knock retard as measured on the scanner doesn't go away completely until it's around 96 octane.

Originally Posted By: drewjp
Geez!

Go for a road trip and keep it at 65mph, I bet you would beat 27mpg easily. Really your engine is a stroked Neon engine which usually get mid or high 30's when matched with a decently tall top gear.
If you want to get better mileage go surf around ecomodder.com for a while and get some ideas that will work for you. I average 35mpg now and before I knew much about hypermiling I would get 28-30mpg on the same commute. I have the 3 spd auto which has a short top gear, with the manual trans I would be in the low 40's.

We took our '06 Odyssey EX on it's first road trip this past weekend (bought used in July) and thought of this thread. Filled up in Wytheville VA and drove to Columbus OH. Did a couple of local trips and filled up after 508 miles, putting in 18.0 gallons for 28.2 mpg! Amazing! Elevation change may have played some role in getting that high but even on the return from Columbus to Wytheville, I calculated 26.5 mpg. We always stop for gas there because it is about $0.20 cheaper per gallon than anywhere else. Not sure why.

That's pretty good for the load. Our '07 Town & Country with the 3.8L returned about 27 MPG for me once on a 4-hour trip, but it was just me driving. It was when I drove it home from the dealer, and starting mileage was about 40 miles on the odometer. I figured the fuel economy would pick up from there, but now with a shade over 30,000 miles, it's been about the same. We've averaged 19.1 MPG with it overall, including every drop of fuel we've put in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back