Poulan Wildthing Chainsaw Carb

Status
Not open for further replies.

etb

I can't seem to pull any gas up to the sparkplug in the cylinder.

I have pumped gas up to the carb with the primer bulb and upon removing the top cover of the carb, can see gas emerge when the small rocker valve at the top of the carb is depressed.

So my question is, if I have gas at the top of the carb inside, why can I seem to get any gas out of the carb.

Is anyone familiar with the inner workings of this poulin carb. I can't see what causes that rocker valve to release gas. I do see a rubber diaphram which installs over the carb so is it maybe vacumn which opens the gas flow?

I have good compression. The rubber manifold looks new. All gas lines look good.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Poulans are famous for carb problems, usually due to the need for cleaning. Is it possible that your idle bypass jet and main jet are just clogged?

My first step on two stroke trouble shooting after looking for failed rubber parts/gaskets is just to take it apart and give it a thorough cleaning with carb cleaner. My guess is you have clogged jets, but it's hard to tell from the description and I can't picture your carb.

Welcome to Bitog!

I agree with clean the carb first. Do not use high air pressure or acetone solvent dips as they have plastic check valves. Poulan uses the same carb manufacturers as stihl and Husqvarna, just don't store them with fuel in the system. It gums, and the ethanol destroys lines and diaphrams.

If you clean the carb and no luck....check compression. The Wild Thing has had a problem with grit chewing up cylinder walls. There is not enough compression to draw fuel through the carb or for proper iginition. Check parts saws on ebay and there are a million wildthings with bad compression. Bad cylinder or weak air filtration design? You can remove the muffler and look through the exhaust port to see if you have piston scoring. That is an indication of bad compression.

Good luck

My Wild Thing stopped idling just this summer after nearly 10 years of ownership. The saw gets very little use. The only thing that changed this year is that I tried a different oil. I wanted to try some Castor 927 (motorcycle racing oil, castor bean based) and that oil did a bad number on both my LawnBoy mower and my Wildthing. I removed the carb and it was spotless. There was just something about that oil that the engine didn't like.

I got rid of the 927 and went back to my old stock of Mobil MX2T. The saw hasn't been the same since. The LawnBoy had no issues with it when I switched back.

I additize my 2-cycle fuel with Stabil and a top-tier detergent additive and usually go through 1 gallon every two months. My oil ratio is generally 32:1 down to 40:1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back