Best grease for Ball Bearing type Wheel Bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know most all wheel bearings are roller bearing type. Heck the rear wheel bearings are actually listed as clutch release bearings.

So I'm wondering in a climate that see's -40c and +40c, what should I pack the bearings with?

Edit: Bible Belt censors, are lame...
01.gif

Last edited:
Reason I ask, is the bearings on these cars seems to blow out really fast in comparison. I have to redo one rear set on my moms car. My dad tells me the reason they got away from ball bearings for wheel bearings is they get hot and the bearing would seize and start to spin on the spindle. This was caused by poor grease, torque, etc. I seem to also remember in school, they told us that ball bearings have a much higher point of contact pressure than roller bearings.

So I figured I'd ask rather than just stuffing the new ones with standard wheel bearing grease.

The best wheel bearing grease is Exxon Infinitec, blue in color. It's specifically made by Mobil for wheel bearings. It's what I use, all my colleagues use it, and it's used for all rotating bearings in our shop. The problem is that I don't know where you can get it over the counter.

Over the counter I vote for Mobil 1 synthetic, red in color. We sell our long-life heavy truck bearings charged with this grease.

Most any modern grease that is NLGI2, resistant to elevated tempertures, and has EP additive, should work fine for wheel bearings.

I wonder where your dad got his info, It seems like a rather simplistic statement. I'm not going to get into the complicated ins and outs of ball versus taper.

I've used M1 grease for many years in wheel bearing for cars, trucks, trailers, etc. with very good results.
As I worked in a machine shop that repaired heavy industrial equiptment we often were required to use M1 grease because of high heat conditions.

Kestas:

My dad was a mechanic for many many years, and he was shocked to see ball bearings being used for wheel bearings, which brought on the stories about old trucks and cars.

Seems Infintec has been Discontinued and replaced by Infinitec 152. http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENGRSMOMobilInfinitec_152.asp

Although looking at the Specs for both... I'd say it was a name change... Seems there is a Distributor near by, so I will give em a jingle and see.

Tig1:

M1 and the Amsoil Waterproof grease are the synthetics that can be had around these parts, thanks for the suggestion. :)

Last edited:
I used to use M1 grease, but got tired of super thin red oil being pushed out around the seals and the grease gun.

M1 grease seems to have real oil separation issues.

Well... It seems the Esso distributor here, doesn't want my business...

So I'm open for options... I'll order this stuff if I have to. I have a Schaeffers distributor about 30 minutes from me...

There are two wheel-bearing greases I really like. Chevron Delo LC#2 is one of them, but for Canadian winters, I'd use Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp. LC#2. or the Mobil-1. The last time I looked at Canada's PDS on Mobil-1, it looked really good. The Mystik carries Spicer's recommendations for universal joint grease. It's really good stuff, but the M-1 just might be rated for lower temperatures. It, too, is "really good stuff."

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
There are two wheel-bearing greases I really like. Chevron Delo LC#2 is one of them, but for Canadian winters, I'd use Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp. LC#2. or the Mobil-1. The last time I looked at Canada's PDS on Mobil-1, it looked really good. The Mystik carries Spicer's recommendations for universal joint grease. It's really good stuff, but the M-1 just might be rated for lower temperatures. It, too, is "really good stuff."

The Mobil-1 is synthetic and will make it past seals easier...dino greases are better...the specs on the Mystik JT-6 High-temp red grease can't be touched. And as an added bonus, it is available at Wal-mart.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
You often see polyurea greases used with ball bearings. Not sure it really matters in your application, though.

Urea grease is used by the major bearing OEMs in motor/electrical grade bearings and on occasion on wheel bearings.

I know Koyo uses Shell Alvania 2 lithium complex grease for their wheel bearings.

I used Mobil 1 grease for wheel bearings a few times, then my dad turned me on to the Amsoil grease, Series 2000. It blows the Mobil 1 grease away. It doesn't drip out the end of the grease gun like the Mobil 1 grease does, and has a better consistancy to it. YMMV

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I used Mobil 1 grease for wheel bearings a few times, then my dad turned me on to the Amsoil grease, Series 2000. It blows the Mobil 1 grease away. It doesn't drip out the end of the grease gun like the Mobil 1 grease does, and has a better consistancy to it. YMMV

Don't leave the pressure on the gun with any grease while it sets. M1 grease holds up as well as any grease I've seen in industrial applications where you find high heat and and high RPM. Many of our customers required M1 greases for their bearings as other greases would lead to bearing failures.

Grease for wheel bearings carries the NLGI certification "GC." Look for that. For your wide temperature range, I'd get a grease made with synthetic oil. I like moly in grease, but it must be top quality moly, and not all moly is top quality.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: ADFD1

Don't leave the pressure on the gun with any grease while it sets. M1 grease holds up as well as any grease I've seen in industrial applications where you find high heat and and high RPM. Many of our customers required M1 greases for their bearings as other greases would lead to bearing failures.

I had similar observations, and never leave pressure in the grease gun. The Mobil 1 Red Grease always dripped out of the gun, (runs down the shaft makes a mess). Since the change to Amsoil grease no more problems with the grease dripping from the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back