delo 400 vs MC synth

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day. Been a lurker for a while just reading all the interesting stuff on here. As opposed to the other forum's "oh no, not another oil thread", this is really interesting stuff with analysis and stuff.

I've read a few other threads where people have used DELO 400 and done oil analysis on it. Looks good. BTW, I also have a mate who has a 990 KTM Superduke and he uses Delo 400 and swears by it.

I've recently got myself a Triumph Speed Triple 1050. The service interval is 10,000 km (6,000 miles) however I intend on changing the oil every 5000km (3000miles) as I've found in my previous bike that the 'gear change feel' seems to 'go off' around the 4-5000 km mark.

Now, here is my delima!!!!!

I'd like to use the Delo 400, however the triumph manual specifically states the use of a semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oil. It goes on to say 'do not use mineral oil'. Delo 400 is a mineral oil.

Now, I know people have done tests and stuff with Delo 400, however those were all with 'older' type engines (goldwing, ZX-9R etc). My question is if anyone with a 'newer engine' has done any comparisons with something like Amsoil MCF 10W-40 which seems to be the benchmark of motorcycle oil.

The 'do not use mineral oil' sentence in the manual is keeping me awake at nights!!!!!!! hahaha Is there any substance to this? My mate recon's his KTM (newish engine, dry sump etc.) is running just fine and his gearbox feels better too.

Seems the JASO MA rating isn't held in the highest of regards here. I wouldn't sleep well at night using 4x more expensive bike oil at 2x the service interval.

So I'm looking for thoughts on this subject of using mineral diesel oils in 'newer engines' where the manufacturer specifies the use of JASO MA synthetics.

Cheers guys.

Dan---------------------------------

Welcome aboard
If it is under warranty use what the manufacturer recommends. If you will sleep better by having syn in there, go for something like Mobil 1 15w50 or the like. Just my 2 cents.

I like the Speed Triple, almost got one but ended up with something more potent. I just picked up a B-King. I am doing my first OC on it tomorrow. FWIW I will use Rotella 15w40.

P.S. this probably should'nt be in the UOA forum.

Last edited:
II.5 or III won't make a difference, however...stay with what the OEM states! Group IV or V will give you the best protection and the Jaso rating is a good bench mark.

Go with the most reasonable brand for you, but if it say's Jaso MA stay with that.

Last edited:
Oh no...not another Delo thread...j/k
21.gif

I have a Triumph Speed Four, and i use the Mobil 1 15w-50 silver cap now. I have used the Gold cap. I would not use the Delo, because doesn't Triumph spec 15w-50? I feel the Mobil 1 15w-50 is a syn blend. So you will be safe with M1.

Cheers guys.
BTW, Triumph (1050) states either 10w-40 or 15w-50.

Might use Amsoil MCF at the normal service intervals 10,000km (6,000 miles).

I was going to use a cheaper oil and halve the service intervals (5,000km/3,000miles). Do you think that the Amsoil 'extended service interval' is for real? If so, I'm guessing it'll last the recommended 10,000km.

Or would there be real benefit in going Mobil 1 and changing every 5,000km?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back