Duramax on RTS CI-4+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mileage was 5666 on oil with 79,600 on unit the OLM had 44% left. They said that the average was 6500 for wear. Wonder why mine didn't fall into there?
From what I see I could do just as well with dino. My plan is to leave this in until I reroute PCV, at that time I will change to dino.

Is there anything else I need to worry about?

Not sure if I should go with Delo or Mobil. Have seen GREAT results with both. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Kevin

Iron: 8
Chromium: 0
Nickel: 0
Aluminum: 1
Lead: 6
Copper: 4
Tin: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Silicon: 9
Boron: 2
Sodium: 1
Potassium: 2
Molybdenum: 2
Phosphorus: 1223
Zinc: 1532
Calcium: 3361
Barium: 0
Magnesium: 10

Fuel % Vol: .5
Vis cSt 100c: 13.07
SUS Viscosity@210F: 70.4
Flashpoint in F: 405
Antifreeze:0
Water:0
insolubles%: .3

Last edited:
Thing to remember is that Group III oils are, in effect, dino. Just highly refined versions...
But, yes, you would do just as well with dino. Nice report. No issues.
Where are you getting your CI4 RTS from, or are you using a stash?

Yes, I stashed up two years ago. I'm all out, but from the results I see here I'm not as scared to run the CJ-4 now.

Is there any thing that I need to worry about that the wear averages are higher than my actual mileage?

Kevin

Originally Posted By: KevinsDMAX
Yes, I stashed up two years ago. I'm all out, but from the results I see here I'm not as scared to run the CJ-4 now.

Is there any thing that I need to worry about that the wear averages are higher than my actual mileage?

Kevin

No. With the numbers that came up on your UOA, I would double your mileage. Wear numbers on your report with regards (to the usual on this forum) are low.
Duramax engines are very easy on oil. Yours should be no exception.

Take a look at Arkapigdiesel's UOA's from his duramax on this forum...great comparison.

Nice report. I also have 2 UOA's from extended OCI's using Amsoil from about a year ago. They should be available. I switched to Dino (Delvac) because of cost, convenience, and seeing that the CJ-4 oils would do just fine. I made the switch after 75k+ of synthetic use. I got tired of having to order and spend all the money that it took to run synthetic. I figured I could run Dino and just change every 10k miles instead of ordering, analysis, checking, rechecking, etc.....It is was much cheaper and just the same protection. It was a no-brainer for me.
D-Roc is right....Dmaxes are very easy on oil, so either Delo or Delvac would be an excellent choice. Thanks for the report!!

10K miles minimum on your OCI will be fine. Noticed your in Texas, which rules out extreme cold. I'll assume you don't drag race or sled pull with your truck either. Run a top shelf dino oil and you will be fine.

Delvac 1300 or Delo 400 would be my choice.

I'd run dino HDEO from a quality product line (your choice) up to 7.5k miles without even blinking. And 10k miles is certainly doable in many applications, especially for a Dmax. They are just really easy on oil, overall.

Dnewton-

The only reason why I took the sample at this time was because of the challenge that is going on over at diesel place.

Makes sense for the UOA, then. The numbers you posted were good; RTS is a fine product.

I just sent in my oil; should have the UOA in next week or so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back