Walmart Everstart Maxx Batteries= Junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been purchasing and recommending this battery since CR says that it is excellent.

However, the one in my Saturn failed a load test after 18 months. Walmart replaced it under warranty. The one in my friend's '98 TL failed a load test in less than a year. And the one in my friend's '01 CL is starting to have problems as well.

All of these batteries are of the Johnson Control type.

What's going on?

Maybe they don't make them like the used to. I have one that is performing perfectly which I bought in '00 and it was their bottom feeder ($29.99) battery.

I also remember CR rating several battery's and, amongst the top, the MAXX was one of them but only in a certain group. Ohhh, let's just say, 24F. I don't know if a 24F even exists or if it does, was it the one but, what I remember is, not all of the MAXX groups of batterys were rated the same.

I had an Everstart MAXX that didn't last over a year and a half. I've heard people refer to them as "Neverstart". I have had really good luck with Autocraft from AAP and batteries made by Superior Battery company here in KY, some go by the name Superlex.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I have been purchasing and recommending this battery since CR says that it is excellent.

However, the one in my Saturn failed a load test after 18 months. Walmart replaced it under warranty. The one in my friend's '98 TL failed a load test in less than a year. And the one in my friend's '01 CL is starting to have problems as well.

What's going on?

I have had 2 of them that lasted over 5 years. I would test your charging system. Or maybe they were really old stock. My local WM auto does a huge business so all of the oil & parts turn over a lot.

I've never had a battery last less than 5-6 years until I bought a Everstart Maxx. I bought one in '06 and it failed a load test at the dealer early this summer. My charging system checked out OK.

Interesting trend with the Everstart Maxx. I'm relying on memory here (please correct me). It seems that Interstate (Johnson Controls) used to be on the top of the CR reviews, then suddenly they seemed to fall from grace and the Everstarts took the top position.

Yet, they are both Johnson Control batteries and JC claims that they have the same build quality. Something doesn't add up here.

I wonder how the JC made Autozone batteries are comparing?

I use Interstates at my workplace and both my daughters have installed AZ batteries with no problems so far.

As usual, good post Critic. Thanks for the update.

I have used them in many vehicles for many years. Almost no problems and if there are any they warranty them easily. I believe they have a three year replacement. We did have one Duralast battery from Auto Zone and it was also a great one.

I just put an Everstart Maxx in my Caravan to replace the Mopar ball of corrosion.

I was about to buy two Group 27 Everstart batteries for my sump pump. You guys are scaring me. Does anyone have any experience with the deep cycle batteries from Walmart?

I have been burnt few times by CR ratings,
I read in another thread here or rvdotnet that most of these batteries now come from China dry and the acid is added here and sold. JC makes batts for the big chains. sams club lowered their warr to 1 yr full and then prorated, it makes you wonder why :)

The WalMart batteries in the Iowa area used to always be Johnson Controls, fully sealed lead-calcium construction. They seemed to last forever and like most sealed L-C batteries did not corrode the terminals, battery box, etc. I have had several, including the cheapies that lasted a long time. The Exides were always the "low Antimony" lead alloy, they took much less water then 1950 era batteries but still took some water, eroded the terminals due to outgassing.

Now, we only get Exide manufactured batteries in this area. The Exide Lawsuits (Sears, US GOVT and mail fraud!!) around 1998 showed huge manufacturing problems and very high failure rates, Sears tracked their warranty returns for Exide vs Johnson Controls, etc.

Now Consumers Reports ( which in the 1990's identified about half the new Exides in their tests were already defective) has now declared Exide to be acceptable. Note that most Exides in the 90's they tested were "working" but revealed huge variations in starting power. The cause was poor assembly, cracked internal welds (remember lots of plates in each Cell) Those with disconnected plates failed very early in life as the lead distribution soon becomes untenable within each cell.

I wish WalMart could get Johnson Controls batteries back in the area, although the Exides may have greatly improved their quality. All the new Japanese cars in this area get Johnson Controls batteries, NOBODY - that I know of- will use Exides for orginal equipment.

Looking for updates/additions to the above information!!

Last year I bought a Maxx battery that said Exide on it. No problems so far. Private label batteries are a commodity product and periodically the mfr and/or specs change. I have had no probs with ANY battery I have bought in the last 20 years - I did have a prob with an exide before that. It is important to disconnect the battery in any car that is stored, as once the battery gets discharged it will freeze and ruin it. I would not have a problem with any JC product. I know one of their employees, and they have employed some very strict QC measures. they are also able to control their manufacturing to very close tolerances. that being said, not all JC batteries are the same - they can control the quality of the battery and normally charge for it accordingly.

Do the yellow batteries have the N/S (north/south) designation? If so, which are you getting?

My s-series Yellow Everstarts (Northern edition if they make it) are going on their 5th and 4th winters respectively, and perfectly. The cases are yellow plastic. Seen newer ones with black cases and yellow labels, presumably the exide ones.

I do know their midgrade (2yr warranty) batteries, like the popular DT3N, have the "North/South" designations now.

I have a practially new NAPA/exide in my grand marquis that took a total discharge then only took 4 amps (over 24 hours) to charge... just wasn't "hungry"/ high internal resistance. Agree, there is something funky there.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

What's going on?

their junk. look at your old Everstart battery thread, I said they were junk. you didn't listen.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back