toyota fuel filter cutaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
had my fuel filter change as part of 75,ooo km service today.
it's an 05 camry, with an in-tank filter.

cutaway down the middle

DSC06001.jpg

Filter media seems like dark brown cardboard packing curved about halfway of the circumference of the assembly.

DSC06002.jpg

Some side shots

DSC06003.jpg

DSC06004.jpg

View from the top

DSC06005.jpg

Fuel goes in here (i think)

DSC06006.jpg

... and comes out here to the fuel line, now pressurised...

DSC06007.jpg

she has actually conked out in the past from sniffing petrol i spilt on the concrete... was disturbing,. scary and a little bit of comedy. she is a silly big black dog.

the filter media was still moist with fuel.

I have a similar filter in my Hyundai Santa Fe. It's in the tank and apparently a "lifetime" filter. I have over 200K KM (120K miles) on my filter and still have proper fuel pressure at my fuel rail.

I think I'm gonna get a new one and just change it. I think 200K KM (120K miles) is enough mileage for a "lifetime" filter.

It's easy to change as they give you an access hatch under one of the rear seats so you can get into the fuel tank via the inside of the car.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have a similar filter in my Hyundai Santa Fe. It's in the tank and apparently a "lifetime" filter. I have over 200K KM (120K miles) on my filter and still have proper fuel pressure at my fuel rail.

I think I'm gonna get a new one and just change it. I think 200K KM (120K miles) is enough mileage for a "lifetime" filter.

It's easy to change as they give you an access hatch under one of the rear seats so you can get into the fuel tank via the inside of the car.

Same with my 05 Corolla. Toyota claims its a lifetime fuel filter. If you could take a few pics while you work and post them here it would be much appreciated.

Smart

That's what I thought...

easy if the hatch is a bolt on-off. mine uses tacky butyl tape to seal and reseal. i must say this dealer that i use has pretty good service.

Still beat dropping the tank. Mine is under the truck bed. No access cover.
On the VW Bus, I have to take off the rear bumper and sheetmetal, remove the engine, remove the firewall (bolt on), and drop the tank to get at the sending unit. Although the filter itself is not in the tank on that van.
A lot of guys cut an access hole and make a cover behind the rear seat.
...Good idea since the only replacements available for these old vans are good for about a year.

That would be a lot of work on an annual basis.

On some pickups it almost looks easier to unbolt the bed and leave the tank installed.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
On some pickups it almost looks easier to unbolt the bed and leave the tank installed.

Ya. The bed on my truck is some sort of composite through and through so whenever I do the truck's filter I'll prolly look into that option.
Except I got a topper, and that has to come off...Minor PITA.

I have a similar filter in my Hyundai Santa Fe. It's in the tank and apparently a "lifetime" filter.....

Funny how some cars have filters with "recommended change schedules" that are next to impossible to get to, and others with "lifetime" filters that have easy access hatches!!! Go figure that one!

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Funny how some cars have filters with "recommended change schedules" that are next to impossible to get to, and others with "lifetime" filters that have easy access hatches!!! Go figure that one!

Yup... I have an opinion on this but don't want to start a war in the threads so will just leave it.... here.

Steve
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back