Lenovo IdeaPad Hard drive failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard drive died after one defrag w/Auslogic. Probably coincidence ;-( Support wants $49 to talk to me because 6 mo's. out of warranty; but since I can buy a new HD for $50 I will pass. The unit is a SATA drive, and neither my Vista restore disk or a Linux emergency disk w/hard drive diagnostics will even detect the drive. What are the odds it is the MB? Aren't SATA drivers software? Not too much of value on the disk, so I can afford to lose it, but don't want to throw good money after bad here.
Mike

No, SATA is just a different interface than IDE, it is not software.

99% that its the drive.

You could try freezing it and then hooking it up to a desktop to see if you can get your stuff back.

-Chris

Yeah, nice thing about SATA laptop drives is they use identical power and data wires as their larger desktop couterparts. So if you have a desktop that has SATA capability, you can try plugging it in.

I'll second the opinion that there is practically no chance it's the board. The freezer trick never hurts either, I'd guess there's about a 10% chance you might get it back up for a few minutes.

Thanks, guys. I'll try the freezer trick when I get a new desktop built w/e-sata connection. But for now a new hard drive.
Mike

A year and 1/2, an early C2D w/Gigabyte board. It used to be so fast ;-) but now.......Next one will be an i5, I think. Now that IDE drives are going to be obsolete soon, a system with external SATA will be a necessity.
Mike

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
You should be able to open that up and plug that HD right in.

Bingo.

Yup, good idea. I will in the a.m. Funny thing, my daughter has a new Gateway laptop that I pulled the HD out of to see if it would work in the Lenovo, but it won't quite go in. Also the Lenovo drive won't go in the Gateway. Seems to be a millimeter or so difference, I thought all the laptop drives (newer ones at least) were the same.

MOST of them are, but if either drive is in a fitment cage, that would definitely be the reason for the inability to install it.

Originally Posted By: Buffman
there are thin profile and standard profile laptop hard-drives.

Yes, but most are of the former now, I rarely see the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back