Broke Down and Bought More Auto-RX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on the fence about buying more ARX for a while. I was using it for a long time, then the last 4-5 oil changes didn't see any. But a pending intake manifold gasket replacement (preventative maintenance, knock on wood) on my 99 Buick LeSabre prompted me to buy it again to assist in cleaning up any residuals. So I broke down and ordered 3 more bottles to use in my and my fiancee's cars. I figure it's going to be a short change interval in my car after changing the gaskets, might as well clean things up a bit!

I figured one short interval at full strength after changing the gaskets to clean up after this major engine surgery.

After that it's back to my usual 6 month OCI.

Must've been the way my original post was worded that made it seem like I was using ARX with short intervals. Definitely not doing short intervals with ARX!

Yeah, looking forward to seeing what the previous clean/rinse cycle followed by a diet of Grp. III syn did tor engine cleanliness!

Unless I read your post wrong, you suggest that changing manifold gaskets will make your engine dirty??
I'm not sure I understand this!
Arx will not clean your inlet manifold.

Nah, in case I spill any antifreeze into the crankcase when lifting the lower intake manifold off the engine. Change the oil twice if I spill any, and add ARX the second time to assist in cleanup of any dregs changing the oil once already did not catch.

A bonus is a 0.05 drop in gallons/hour of fuel consumed at hot idle.

All right, I admit it, I just wanted an excuse to buy more ARX!

When he takes off the upper and lower intake manifold coolant will get into the engine. Also any junk that is built up on the valley area like on the ballance shafts will end up inthe engine. When I worked on my wises Buick her ballance shafts and push rods and other parts in the valley area where filty. These area's do not see high rates of oil flow and heat riseing. So when you shut the engine down what oil is left ont he push rods,ballance shafts,,ballance shaft bearing and lifters just cooks to death and turns into a black nasty hard coating. Well if you clean it off with harsh solvents like I did guess where it drains down to????? That is right the oil!

Since I had used Auto_rx just one year prior to having to replace her intake manifold and gaskets I just used solvents and cheap oil to plush all the coolant and junk out that drained into the oil.

Before I Started the engine up I put 4 quarts of cheap 15W40 HDEO and 1 quart of MMO. That left her car .5 quarts over full which is not a big deal. Since Ihad drained the oil and coolant out fromt he engine before refilling and starting all I had to really get rid of was the any coolant that was still hiding some place int he block. The regular oil and MMO took car of that just fine. ARX did not do anything for the ballance shafts and the area inthe valley because the oil flow is too low in these area's. It was really dirty in their. Keep in mind that this Buick was ran on M1 until I bought it off my grandmother's estate.

Even Seafoam will do a good job getting water out. In fact you can use a quart of 100% industrial grade Isoprop Alch. in the oil and that will easily scavange the coolant and water the same way it does in your fuel tank in the winter time. If you can get the coolant to the oil filter the cellose media should be able to hold the water portion no problem and allow it to cook off and exit as water vapor. You want to keep the water away from the bearing because water does not lubricate engine parts well and cavatation and electrolosis is a very real danger when coolant get's into palces it does not belong!

Thanks for putting that better than I could have.

My current plan since the intake gaskets have not let go is to just drain the current fill right before tearing into it, and leaving the drain bolt off in case any coolant spills when I take off the lower intake manifold. Then wash down the spill with cheap oil, button everything up, fill it with more oil, idle for 10 minutes, change the oil and filter, then re-fill, add ARX and call it good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back