$24.99, Sunbelt Software Vipre, unlimited license

Status
Not open for further replies.
...for home use.

Free shipping, use promo code EMCLXML46 for the $24.99 discount.

Link to Vipre by Sunbelt-Software on NewEgg's site

I have recently had great fortune mandating that a friend use this on his home PC. It missed two things, but caught everything else. No need to wipe & reload Windows as Vipre did the job admirably as it kept rogue processes from running...keeping the yuckware off his XP box. I applauded him for following my recommendations. $25 for unlimited home use is a fantastic deal.

I have used Sunbelt Vipre and it seemed to work as advertised. I found that the Sunbelt service would periodically shut down and leave my computer unprotected until I restarted the service. This was a show-stopper, so I did a lot of research and tested several security suites before switching to Avira Antivir Premium (paid version). Avira Antivir Premium is by far the best security suite that I have used to date.

In Sunbelt's defense, they run a great support forum that is staffed by folks that know the program and are actually located here in the United States! I posted about the issue described above on Sunbelt's forum at ~03:00 hours on a Sunday morning and received a reply from a Sunbelt support technician in approximately 10 minutes. Sunbelt was quick to acknowledge the issue and suggested a workaround. They have probably addressed the issue by now, but I see no compelling reason to stop using Avira.

I'm an IT professional and spend a pretty significant amount of time online...sometimes even on sites that are known to be "dangerous" to Windows computers in order to troubleshoot issues.

I have never ever been infected with any virus or malware ('cept the occasional vendor that slips something innocuous like Yahoo toolbar under the RADAR when I'm too lazy to notice the EULA). I use two FREE products when I'm stuck using Windows:

Avast Antivirus (home edition)
Spybot Search and Destroy

When I'm not using Windows, I use Ubuntu Linux (version 9.04 these days) without any anti-virus/spyware software whatsoever. It's nice having those cpu cycles available to do actual work for me, rather than support all the bloatware designed to protect me from an insecure operating system. :)

Just another data point.

You may spend time on so-called dangerous sites, but do you surf pr0n with Internet Explorer? Do your kids watch YouTube videos for hours on end while logged in as a local administrator with a blank password with outdated versions of Flash Player? Download songs with Limewire day after day? Have a version of Adobe Acrobat Reader that's a year or two old?

I don't think so.

What's most impressive is that it protected a PC with such glaring security holes.

Remember, this product helps the general public protect itself from itself the best it can. No product is 100% perfect, that includes Vipre/Counterspy. But it is a really good product all in all.

a-squared higher rated and free. Sunbelt is OK though, I used it way back on my work PC. Spybot is old technology and time has passed it by. Run a-squared, SAS, or MalwareBytes and you may get a nasty surprise.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
You may spend time on so-called dangerous sites, but do you surf pr0n with Internet Explorer? Do your kids watch YouTube videos for hours on end while logged in as a local administrator with a blank password with outdated versions of Flash Player? Download songs with Limewire day after day? Have a version of Adobe Acrobat Reader that's a year or two old?

I don't think so.

No, I don't do any of those things (well, the kids on youtube seems a universal condition). If someone is intent through laziness or ignorance on leaving their back door, front door, and windows open there isn't a whole lot any security package can do for them when they get burgled.

Both of my children use an Ubuntu machine to surf the net...including the aforementioned youtube surfing and the other stuff that kids usually do. Other than configuring that machine to auto-update with patches periodically, it has absolutely no anti-virus or anti-malware protection other than the OS's own measures and whatever's in the latest iteration of Firefox. The machine has not only never been successfully burgled, but my kids also haven't been able to disable it or slow it down through abuse. Amazing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back