best wax for metallic black paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey you detail experts any recomendations for this color paint, I have in the garage some Turtle Wax Platnium and Nu Finish, which one of these would you suggest or something else.......thanks

the toaster testers at a leading consumer testing organization identified Black Magic as the leading wax/polish for its shine and durability. Unfortunately I have 5 white cars so I really cant tell you how it looks on a real color. oh wait, it does make my dark blue toyota look pretty nice. but I use 3M Glaze on my 70 Cougar

That Black Magic wax is a PITA to use, I have it and would not recommend it. I would recommend just Meguiar's NXT 2.0 or Duragloss available at most NAPA and Carquest stores.

+1 on the Black Magic.

For the best results, after wiping the hazed wax off the whole vehicle, go back and mist a tiny bit of distilled (preferably distilled anyway) water over one section at a time and buff it dry and slick feeling with a soft towel. Gets any remaining greasies off.
Stuff has UV shield in it and the shine/water beading seem to last forever once you do that one good application.

I also like Turtle Wax F-21.

I haven't tried the products CharlieJ recommends.

Before waxing wash the vehicle with any regular car wash product. Stay away from dish or laundry detergents, they will remove waxes.

One step, if you haven't done so already, use a clay bar. If you rub your hand over the paint you may hear a sound similar to rubbing it lightly over sand paper and it will feel rough. Thats contaminates on or embedded in the paint or clear coat. A clay bar will remove them and leave the surface smooth as a piece of glass. If you do a search for "clay bar" on Youtube you'll see about 20 examples of the process. Afterward do a once over and remove any remaining tar,tree sap, bugs and etc. the clay bar may have not cleaned off. If there are any fine scratches they can be buffed out with something like Mequire's ScratchX. The Mequire's detailing clar bar kit is a reasonably priced product to get good results.

The next step is waxing. Its a necessary step since the clay bar removed any existing wax. What you use is up to you, but I recommend Super Doublecoat Collinite 476s especially if your vehicle is or outside most of the time. Apply it the same as any other paste wax then buff it off with good quality clean microfiber towel. When applying the wax try to apply it in straight lines instead of a circular motion to avoid making swirl marks.

When your done you should have a smooth long lasting high gloss job. BTW, the clay bar treatment is basically a once a year thing. A good quality wax will protect the finish against contaminants, UV and etc.

I posted a picture of my '05 Dakota's' engine bay, so here is the outside with the clay bar treatment, one coat of Collinite 476 and after one wash . You can get a good idea of the results looking at the front door below the mirror. Even though its a dark color you can clearly see the reflection of blue Saturn Vue sitting next to it., both daily drivers.
33de1hf.jpg

The last step might be restoring the color to the plastic trim with Mothers "Back to Black".

I don't work for or sell any of those products. They're things I regularly use and are available locally at most auto stores, Advance, Autozone and etc.

Bill

I'm a big fan of Turtle Wax Ice. It's incredibly amazingly easy to use. TW ICE does not stain rubber nor leave behind chalky residue in cracks and crevices. Leaves a very "crisp" shine.

You'll definately want to clay the car, as bonded dirt interferes with the wax adhering.

Both the Nufinish and TW platinum should be just fine. Make sure to keep the nu-finish away from any plastic/rubber as it can stain them.

Originally Posted By: BillPa
Before waxing wash the vehicle with any regular car wash product. Stay away from dish or laundry detergents, they will remove waxes.

One step, if you haven't done so already, use a clay bar. If you rub your hand over the paint you may hear a sound similar to rubbing it lightly over sand paper and it will feel rough. Thats contaminates on or embedded in the paint or clear coat. A clay bar will remove them and leave the surface smooth as a piece of glass. If you do a search for "clay bar" on Youtube you'll see about 20 examples of the process. Afterward do a once over and remove any remaining tar,tree sap, bugs and etc. the clay bar may have not cleaned off. If there are any fine scratches they can be buffed out with something like Mequire's ScratchX. The Mequire's detailing clar bar kit is a reasonably priced product to get good results.

The next step is waxing. Its a necessary step since the clay bar removed any existing wax. What you use is up to you, but I recommend Super Doublecoat Collinite 476s especially if your vehicle is or outside most of the time. Apply it the same as any other paste wax then buff it off with good quality clean microfiber towel. When applying the wax try to apply it in straight lines instead of a circular motion to avoid making swirl marks.

When your done you should have a smooth long lasting high gloss job. BTW, the clay bar treatment is basically a once a year thing. A good quality wax will protect the finish against contaminants, UV and etc.

I posted a picture of my '05 Dakota's' engine bay, so here is the outside with the clay bar treatment, one coat of Collinite 476 and after one wash . You can get a good idea of the results looking at the front door below the mirror. Even though its a dark color you can clearly see the reflection of blue Saturn Vue sitting next to it., both daily drivers.
33de1hf.jpg

The last step might be restoring the color to the plastic trim with Mothers "Back to Black".

I don't work for or sell any of those products. They're things I regularly use and are available locally at most auto stores, Advance, Autozone and etc.

Bill

Very nice thanks for posting.

If you want clarity then Zaino is the way to go-otherwise Duragloss, Liquid Glass or Collinite.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
If you want clarity then Zaino is the way to go-otherwise Duragloss, Liquid Glass or Collinite.

I find it interesting how some dismiss Black Magic as difficult to use but Collinite 476 and others have a reputation for difficult to apply if over applied.

I actually find Black Magic really easy to use. Just did my wife's car yesterday with it, and even on the in-the-sun-side, it wiped right off (as soon as it hazed over).

...But as I said, I haven't tried all these product so maybe some are really easier by comparison?

If your paint is in bad shape i recommend Turtle wax "Color Magic".

I got amazing results with this product on my Toyota van which is heavily rock chipped from winter conditions.

Good thing about Zaino is it leaves a non oily surface and looks wet! Not like a wax that dust sticks too. Zaino on Black

IMG_8011.jpg

That looks about as good as it can get! How is the Zaino as far as durability goes (duration of beading, time interval between applications to maintain the wet look)?

Originally Posted By: sammy
Good thing about Zaino is it leaves a non oily surface and looks wet! Not like a wax that dust sticks too. Zaino on Black

IMG_8011.jpg

Wow, very nice ,where do i get it and which one is it!!??

Last edited:
i have 2 black show cars and i use collinite, since they are never out in bad weather i dont know how it would hold up. i detail them once in a while with meguires ultimate detailer , i might have to try zanio next time. my neighbors 1936 ford also gets collinite

I obviously can't you what THE best wax is because I haven't tried them all, but I use Duragloss 101 on my metallic black motorcycle and I can tell you it looks like a black mirror when I'm done. It looks better than any other wax/polish I've tried and those are Zaino, Klasse, McGuiar's, and Turtle Wax.

Last edited:
I too was looking for a wax for my "Panther Black Metallic" G8 and found this black carnauba wax called "Black Velvet". The stuff works great - it even smells like chocolate! I cleaned and waxed my car recently and it came out awesome, no white residue! (I guess shiny black cars can be hard to photograph):

dsc02813ff.jpg

dsc02825ar.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back