Oil filter cutout: Fram TG5 vs PL34631

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at Advance and we had this Purolator Pure One fall on the floor and get a slight dent so we had it cut open. I got curious and grabbed the Fram equivalent from the shelf and cut it open.

The Purolator just seems to be so much better built. We use this as a display so I won't be cutting the filter material apart to measure length.

The Fram is taller and the Purolator Pure One is wider, the Purolator seems to have more pleats and the drain back valve is much firmer and thicker.

The Purolator did have a metal piece inside between the filter top and the case but after lots of people looking at it, it has gone to find a new home. The one from the Fram was just placed in there and seems to be the only thing keeping the oil from flowing past the filter material. The Purolator, as you can see, has the metal covering it as a solid piece.

Forgive the fuzzy pics, the new iPhone is really hard to get a good focus.

IMG_0120Medium.jpg

IMG_0123Medium.jpg

IMG_0121Medium.jpg

IMG_0122Medium.jpg

That's such a horrible comparison it's sad. The worst part is they sell for about the same price and 75% of the American public sees the Fram name and grabs it. If they only knew...

In this instance we sell that Purolator for .50 LESS than the Fram. However generally the Purolators are about .40-.60 more. Well worth the extra IMHO.

Are you saying the comparison is horrible because I didn't do it well or because the products are made with such different tolerances?

Last edited:
Just for fun you should drop a standard Purolator and an Orange Fram and compare those! Nice job! what kind of comments do you get from customers?

Also, maybe its a regional thing, but Advance by me does not carry Frams. And, I wish Purolator would figure out a way to get rid of the string....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jdblya
what is the rubber stuff on the purolator base plate? I don't think I've seen that before.

Electrical tape because of the sharp edges.

Apart from ordering from the states, it is nearly impossible to find pureones in Canada. When you do, the price ranges from $15.00 to $20.00 which is about double the price of the (admittedly overpriced) frams.

The only defence we have is to buy NAPA gold cans at around the same price to ~15% more than the orange cans. Pricing within $1.00 of frams is a dreamworld for us.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Just for fun you should drop a standard Purolator and an Orange Fram and compare those! Nice job! what kind of comments do you get from customers?

Also, maybe its a regional thing, but Advance by me does not carry Frams. And, I wish Purolator would figure out a way to get rid of the string....

The newer L 10193's I have cut open didn't have the string or near as much media as they use to have.

I view the string as no big deal. Hard to say if the quality of the media makes up for lack of quanity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shakes
Are you saying the comparison is horrible because I didn't do it well or because the products are made with such different tolerances?

No, not at all.
thumbsup2.gif
I was saying the fact that they cost the same (or in this case the Fram costs more) is criminal. I hope every customer with a Fram filter in their hand sees this at your counter.

Better hope fram doesn't catch wind of your display, I think I read on here somewhere that they get their panties all in a bunch when retailers do that. Gee I wouldn't know why.
smirk2.gif

Yeah. I'm wondering how long the boss will let it stay (if its still even there). Its going to kill our Fram sales if it does.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
but wouldn't Fram XG also know as Synthetic Oil Filter in Canada, be a more comparable prodiuct against Pure One?

Construction wise, yes. Price wise, no way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back