List of VW/Audi Approved 505.01 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there seems to be much debate as to which oils are actually approved for use in 505.01 applications by VW/Audi and which oils are only recommended for use in 505.01 applications by their respective manufacturers, I gathered a list of VW/Audi approved 505.01 oils from the Audi Approved Oil list.

These oils are required for VW TDIs, and many of the new gasoline powered engines, such as the 2.5L 5-cyl and the 3.2L 6-cyl in the VW and Audi, respectively.

Below, I have listed a link to the Product Data Sheet, where they may be obtained, and their price, before any shipping charges or taxes:

1) Motul 505.01 Specific, 5L jug.
Look for the Product Data Sheet on the bottom of this page as this forum software does not allow parenthesis in the HTML tag.

Currently onsale for $32/5L jug at World Impex

Actually, it'd be much wiser to buy the 5L jug of Motul 505.01 specific in the "oil change kit," which includes a new OEM oil filter and new drain plug and washer for only $40 total, instead of buying the oil only for $32.

2) Elf Excellium DID 5w-40
Product Data Sheet

Avaliable at tdiparts for $35/5L.

3)Pentosin TS 5w-40
(I was unable to locate a product data sheet for this oil)

Purchase it at tdiparts for $29.95/5L.

Mike

Schaeffer's oil (series 9000) SAE 5W-40 Also carries the 505.01 on the TD at their website. It is at the very bottom on the list.
Also Redline does meet the spec as well. Called their Tech. line to ask.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by N2OIL:
Schaeffer's oil (series 9000) SAE 5W-40 Also carries the 505.01 on the MSDS at their website. It is at the very bottom on the MSDS list.
Also Redline does meet the spec as well. Called their Tech. line to ask.
cheers.gif

As I've said, Schaeffer's and Redline meet the 505.01 spec, but it is not a VW/Audi APPROVED oil for the 505.01 applications. That means, the manufacturer of the oil recommends it for 505.01 apps, but VW/Audi does not and may not warranty the engine in the event of a lubricant related failure.

Mike

I suppose with that list, that anyone buying a new VW/Audi will get warranty denied in the states b/c I have not seen those oils redaily availible (when i say readily availible, i mean off-the-shelf). I don't think even the dealers have it.

If it meets the spec on the container explain why they will not warranty it. I just bought an 06 Golf and was told if it is on the bottle it is approved. The spec for gas 502.00 & for TDI 505.01 I specifically asked about the specs and warranty issues.

Can anybody who owns VW/Audio that requires APPROVED 505.1 lubricants go to their respective dealers and ask what lubricants they actually use for in house refill? This VW/Audi 505.01

I doubt that they have gallons of Motul 505.01 or Elf Excellium laying around their garage. Heck, you can't even find TOTALELFFINA, Motul OTC in the U.S.

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisW:
I suppose with that list, that anyone buying a new VW/Audi will get warranty denied in the states b/c I have not seen those oils redaily availible (when i say readily availible, i mean off-the-shelf). I don't think even the dealers have it.

First of all, this list is only applicable to those vehicles that require 505.01.

Correct, the only OTC 505.01 approved oils is the one at the dealer, the VW/Audi 505.01 oil that they have in the parts department at your local VW/Audi dealer. They have a "VW branded" 505.01 oil that you can buy from them that is Castrol produced.

N2OIL, you asked "if it meets the spec on the container why won't they warranty it." Very simply, think Honda MTF and Honda ATF Z-1. They're proprietary fluids. Sure, Amsoil will say on their Universal ATF and MTF bottles, "meets or exceeds Honda ATF Z-1 and MTF" specs, respectively. However, Honda does not license the production of these fluids, and you must buy them from the dealer.

Something similar applies to the 505.01 spec. You can build your own product that meets 505.01 specs based upon your own validation testing, but teh manufacturer (VW/Audi) in this case, did not approve your product for use in a 505.01 application. That means, they may not warranty any lubricant related failure when the oil that was used only "meets" 505.01 specs but was not approved by the engine manufacturer.

Was that clear enough?

Mike

I feel sorry for you VW diesel guys. It's just nuts what VW has done to the oil requirements for those engines. I didn't buy a diesel Jetta simply because of this. My opinion is that if they tell you that you must use a specific oil and no other per se, they should provide it free of charge for the life of the vehicle. It's not like the oil that they spec is readily available here in the US, aside from the niche suppliers online. I really wonder what the dealers are using?

Yes, can somebody, anybody bring us a photograph prove(whether a receipt or a written proof) of what oil the U.S dealers are using as an "in-house" fill?

Michael wan
quote:

That means, they may not warranty any lubricant related failure when the oil that was used only "meets" 505.01 specs but was not approved by the engine manufacturer.

"lubricant related failure" Exactly. If the lubricant fails it is the oil's fault, if the engine fails it is the Man. fault. If amsoil or Schaeffers meet or exceed requirements, the lubricant will not fail, thus the Man. will to warranty its product.

The act only protects you from VW/Audi saying you may only use "X" brand. For example, VW/Audi cannot say you must use Castrol brand, however, they CAN say that you must use an oil that meets 505.01 spec.

They are not violating the act because there are alternative 505.01 oils avaliable, ones from Motul, Elf, and Pentosin.

Mike

So what makes Motul better? I read Motul & Elf's website the MSDS is the same it meets the spec. I am missing the warranty issue you speak of. If it has the 505.01 on the bottle or spec sheets it should not be an issue. VW has an issue with people using approved oils, documentation & reciepts. If you have documents & reciepts there is not an issue. If the oil manufacturer states it meets the spec. then you can use it. This is the last statement & as clear as I can put it.

Valvoline, Castrol, and Havoline, all make a VW/BMW/BENZ approved 5w-40 oil. They carry the Valvoline at the local PepBoys and they carry the Castrol and Havoline at my local walmart. I would not consider them a niche supplier;)

My local VW dealer uses Valvoline.

If you dont have a convenient place to buy oil, you can order it online here:

http://www.performanceoilstore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=310311

[ October 23, 2005, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: hominid7 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:

First of all, this list is only applicable to those vehicles that require 505.01.

Correct, the only OTC 505.01 approved oils is the one at the dealer, the VW/Audi 505.01 oil that they have in the parts department at your local VW/Audi dealer. They have a "VW branded" 505.01 oil that you can buy from them that is Castrol produced.

N2OIL, you asked "if it meets the spec on the container why won't they warranty it." Very simply, think Honda MTF and Honda ATF Z-1. They're proprietary fluids. Sure, Amsoil will say on their Universal ATF and MTF bottles, "meets or exceeds Honda ATF Z-1 and MTF" specs, respectively. However, Honda does not license the production of these fluids, and you must buy them from the dealer.

Something similar applies to the 505.01 spec. You can build your own product that meets 505.01 specs based upon your own validation testing, but teh manufacturer (VW/Audi) in this case, did not approve your product for use in a 505.01 application. That means, they may not warranty any lubricant related failure when the oil that was used only "meets" 505.01 specs but was not approved by the engine manufacturer.

[/QUOTE]

Fortunatly US law states that if a car maker requires only a specific brand of whatever be used they have to supply it free of charge.

Heres a list of approved oils:

http://www.audiusa.com/common/images/Audi_Approved_Oil_Chart.pdf#search='505.01 vw oil'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back