5w20 in Dodge 4.7 liter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know much about the 4.7 liter engine as I have only had this truck a week, but from what I am hearing about it there is somewhat of a sludge problem. I read somewhere that small oil ports are what the cause of this is. Would this be the same reason the Ford 4.6 liters were burning up, and why Ford specified 5w20 to correct? What I am trying to find out is would it be of any benefit to run 5w20 in this 4.7 liter to try to combat the sludge issue? Thanks........

Oil weight will not determine if an engine builds up sludge. Poor design, poor crankcase venting or poor driving patterns (short trips) and/or poor maintenance regiments on the owners part is what can cause sludge.

Keeping up on the maintenance of your vehicle as outlined by your vehicle manufacturer will ensure a long life.

Originally Posted By: 97f150
I dont know much about the 4.7 liter engine as I have only had this truck a week, but from what I am hearing about it there is somewhat of a sludge problem. I read somewhere that small oil ports are what the cause of this is. Would this be the same reason the Ford 4.6 liters were burning up, and why Ford specified 5w20 to correct? What I am trying to find out is would it be of any benefit to run 5w20 in this 4.7 liter to try to combat the sludge issue? Thanks........

When were the 4.6's burning up? The early ones went through oil (valve seals), but that was about it.....

Originally Posted By: 97f150

The sludge issue with the 4.7L is due to a poor PCV system. Use a good quality oil and change it frequently and you will be fine with the factory recommended 5W-30. Seeing as it is a 2002 I would strongly urge you to replace the PCV valve. Something like Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage oil would be a good choice for that application(IMO).

Last edited:
I've heard of the sludge problems but I've never seen it. I had the valve covers off my Jeep at 132k and it was just some varnish from previous owners dino use. I ran some seafoam through it anyways. The 4.7 was back spec'd to 5w20 so you can use it. Doubt it would help in any sludge build up if any at all. Change the PCV valve and don't go longer than 5k for changed and you'll be fine. Heck I ran 15w40 in mine for some towing this summer. And I run M1 5w20EP in the winter in it, doesn't seem to be picky about oil.

I have had 3 4.7 mopars and all ran perfectly on 5w30 pennzoil YB with 5000 mile OCI's. Just clean the PCV valve every 20k and change the air filter and clean the throttle body every 20k as well.

The Ford 4.6 is considered one of the top best built motors/designs that is out there.Anything I have read about 4.7 sludge issues was as stated a pcv issue and some moisture buildup at the very top where the oil cap is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back