Anybody rotate your own tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't stomach paying somebody $20 to rotate my tires, but all I have is a floor jack and 2 jack stands. Can it be done?

Originally Posted By: zulu
Can't stomach paying somebody $20 to rotate my tires, but all I have is a floor jack and 2 jack stands. Can it be done?

Yes that is all I have and I do my own. Once my car was out of warranty I started doing my own oil changes and tire rotations in my driveway again.

Jack up and safty stand the front then jack up the rear if there is a strong point to support the jack and carefully go at it.

I always do my own, though I use 2 jacks instead of one jack with stands.

In your case...

1. Jack the left front wheel high enough so that you can get a jack stand under the jacking point on the left front.
2. Insert the jack stand.
3. Release the jack slowly and make sure the jack stand maintains the tire off the ground.
4. Jack the left rear wheel high enough to get a jack stand uder the jacking point on the left rear.
5. Insert the other jack stand.
6. Now the left 2 tires are both off the ground. Rotate them.
7. Jack up the back again and remove the jack stand.
8. Release the jack slowly until the rear tire is back on terra firma.
9. Jack up the front again and remove the jack stand.
10. Release the jack slowly until the front tire is back on terra firma.
11. Repeat steps 1-10 on the passenger side.

If you don't have an impact gun, loosen all the lugs a wee bit before you start. Also, don't forget to put on the emergency brake and chock one of the wheels that's on the ground at all times.

Happy rotating.

You don't even need the jack stands, all you need is the spare and a good jack. I did this once when I lived in an apartment, it took about half an hour I remember being amazed how fast it went. Now, I do use jack stands and an impact and it still takes me about 20 minutes, though I doodle looking at the brakes and what not.

I have 2 stands and a floor jack myself. I was always thinking about rotating my tires however now that Im part of the Pepboys Rewards points, one of the perks is free tire ratations. oh and the rewards program is totally free. Speaking of tire rotations, I should bring in my car tomorrow at Pepboys

Local shops give free rotations but it takes more time for me to take the car/truck in then it does for me to do it myself, especially if I have to take off of work; that "free" rotation costs me 1.5 hours of salary.

I use jack stands and a jack. I also have a electric impact and a 1/2" torque wrench that I use. I found on my moms Saturn If I have a jack stand under say the Front left corner and jack the opposite corner, in this example the Right rear, the front right will lift up as well. Eliminated me having to use both jack stands.

I've got an uneven parking pad, so last time I rotated I didn't do the picky all-four-up-at-once deal. It's a pain. Instead, I treated it as a running tire change; pull the left rear, pop the mini-spare on with three lugs, and put the left rear to the right front, and so on and so on. Really didn't take any more time than the careful jacking procedure.
thumbsup2.gif

I only have one jack and I do it myself.

I jack one wheel, put the spare wheel. Jack the front wheel, put the rear wheel there. Go back at the spare one, take it off, put the front one there. One side done.

When I use the spare wheel, it makes me think to take the pressure of it and adjust if needed because I know I wouldn't bother checking the pressure.

I usually just do front-to-back or if I'm doing front brakes then simply side to side on my FWD stuff.

I run snows on their own wheels, so everything gets rotated 2x a year anyway.

Since I have a set of winter tires on a separate set of steel rims, I do the rotation and change the tires at the same time. Basically when I change my all seasons to winters, I mark the all season tires with a crayon to the spot that I would put the wheel as if a was rotating them. So in the spring time I just follow the markings, I then do the same for the winter set. And because I can do one wheel at a time I only need the floor jack.

Nope.. we always buy the warranty with new tires or with used tires the package from wally world. I get the tires rotated and balance 6.5-7k. Last set of factory Conti's last 69k with plenty of tread left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back