High mileage stories using dino or synthetic oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
awesome....5.7L? those seem to be a common high-mileage engine, in my "amateur research" lol...

another +1 for dino...there have to be more synthetic stories?

good point lol...

It is phenomenal the amount of miles I've seen out of taxis and city buses, etc...Just goes to show the startup wear and cold starts are the key - It has to be. They use "cheap" oils from what I hear, and a lot of the driving is stop-and-go, and idling

My caprice has the 5.0L 305 TBI engine, going to be switched to synthetic very shortly, was doing several short OCI's with some MMO and Seafoam used in a couple of them to try and clean out since it was using a bit of oil (1qt in 1k or so). With the amount of miles I put on I could have it another 10 years and hit 1,000,000KM's, that's why I want to run the synthetic.

The Amsoil webpage has stories. However, surprised I haven't seen any on this website. I got over 400k miles using all kinds of conventional and non-conventional oils, and sporadic oil changes.

funny that the Amsoil website is the only source that i've seen so far of multiple high mileage stories on synthetic...not that i'd be surprised to see them, i know they're out there...just, how convenient for Amsoil...

Hi,
gmchevroletruck - My first exposure to a very high mileage was in 1959-60 with a Morris Oxford (Farina) with a "B" series BMC engine. It was an Owner/Driver Taxi in Dunedin in New Zealand. This place gets real cold!

The engine was on Castrolite 20W-30 - the Owner replaced the engine at 350k miles. It was replaced "...because it had been there long enough and might become unreliable..." Oil and filter had been changed every 1500 miles!

Most flat top Ford V8s and Chev I6 engines were overhauled at around 40-80k miles then - so were most "B" series engines!

Last edited:
wow! Quite an amazing acheivement, especially back then, as it appears that engines have become more durable across the board since then...quite a "plug" in favor of frequent oil change intervals, indeed! Was Castrolite any affiliation with Castrol?

Hi,
gmchevroletruck - Yes Castrolite was Castrol's premium oil!

Castrol also sold XL (30-40) and XXL (40-50)

Their 20W-50 was introduced in 1959 - the second 20W-50 after Duckhams "Hypergrade"?

Their "R" SAE30 and SAE40 were the castor bean oil based racing lubricants. Great oils with an excellent exhaust odour............

I've actually seen that before, very impressive. That, and the few million mile Chevrolet delivery trucks and vans that I've seen solid links to (original engine, no rebuild, but multiple non-engine replacement parts of course), and the famous (but meaningless) Mobil 1 / BMW lab test where the 325i does a million miles in a garage on rollers...And the million mile Saab (not sure what oil he used) 89 SPG. Had one of those, never should have sold it - 87 SPG, I used Syntech 5w50, it got to 225k, the odometer broke and I drove it 2 more years, turbo went, engine was strong, I abandoned it. Bet it still runs today.

What kind of oil did that Volvo use again? I still wonder about 2.6mil, when 1 mil has been the crowning acheivement of all other mfr's and models...? Guess its possible....

Last edited:
wow, that is super interesting - castor bean based oil? Is that how they got their name, Castrol? They do seem to have quite an interesting history

Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck
I've actually seen that before, very impressive. That, and the few million mile Chevrolet delivery trucks and vans that I've seen solid links to, and the famous (but meaningless) Mobil 1 / BMW lab test where the 325i does a million miles in a garage on rollers...And the million mile Saab (not sure what oil he used) 89 SPG. Had one of those, never should have sold it - 87 SPG, I used Syntech 5w50, it got to 225k, the odometer broke and I drove it 2 more years, turbo went, engine was strong, I abandoned it. Bet it still runs today.

What kind of oil did that Volvo use again? I still wonder about 2.6mil, when 1 mil has been the crowning acheivement of all other mfr's and models...? Guess its possible....

I'm sure it has gone through many different brands. Whatever the dealer could get for cheap, most likely.

My dealer is currently pumping Castrol semi-syn 5w30...and telling people to follow the service reminder indicator which says to change it every 7500 miles. Meaning, these cars come in for service around every 10,000 miles. You won't see any of those going over to million mile mark.

incidentally, on that volvo, it was rebuilt at 600,000, and from that I would also guess another or maybe multiple times from 600k-2.6 million. Not that it makes it any less remarkable by any means - in terms of reliability and sticking to the maintenance, it's quite an acheivement for the car and the owner, no matter how you look at it. I'd still like to know what oil he used...

Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck
incidentally, on that volvo, it was rebuilt at 600,000, and from that I would also guess another or maybe multiple times from 600k-2.6 million. Not that it makes it any less remarkable by any means - in terms of reliability and sticking to the maintenance, it's quite an acheivement for the car and the owner, no matter how you look at it. I'd still like to know what oil he used...

It was rebuilt once at 680K miles. So, is has gone well over 2 million more miles since that rebuild.

that makes sense...I'd bet if the owners changed it at 7500k or less, even 3500, they'd have a fighting chance? But then again, there's the whole "planned obsolescence" thing...We have to try hard to overcome that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back